Respect for others (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
G'day guys!

Just wanted to post a word to all here to bear in mind how we behave here on the forum, and how we communicate with others.

This can be a great forum - but not always. To be blunt, I know of two of our more popular members who have left the forum because of certain individuals and their thoughtless or arrogant comments. Others just visit not so often, or avoid certain threads for the same reason (myself included), not to mention the new people who were abused and left, to the damage of our own good name.

Please keep this forum the great place it can be, for the enjoyment of all, and think twice before we post something that may offend others - this goes especially for certain mods who behave in ways that would have them banned were they not in that position. You of all people are expected to set an example.

Cheers,
Evan

Who are the two that left?

If it's anything I've said that was 'thoughtless or arrogant' then bring them back and I'll apologise unreservedly

Respect is earned, not given... This place is a big melting pot, with peoples from nationalities across the globe, there is no status quo... Differences exist in every member, from small to large....

This place is run the way that it is for very specific reasons... It is a fine tuned machine that is run by Mods and Admins that care about it, on a daily basis... 90% of the boards out there are not.... This Board requires members to either have or grow thick skin.... Those that dont leave.... U've been around long enough to know this....

As for ur "certain Mods" comment, I dont give a sh!t about offending people in real life, so why would I care about offending people on the internet... Im not here to make sure everyones happy and content, Im here to be myself and do the job I was asked to do many years ago, and I do it well....

U seem to be riding my balls lately Evan, and frankly, Im getting fu*kin tired of it.... I was an as*hole 4 years ago, and I am still one.... Either get used to the way I do things, or leave... This tear-jerking mamby pamby crap is tiresome....

Of any Mod here, who do u think does the most??? Who do u think moves the most threads around??? Who do u think weeds out the most undesireable meatballs and keeps wiseass members in line??? Who do u think is the biggest as*hole here????

All of those are me.... I am the senior guy around here, and yea, this post is my powertrip.... I have always been who I am on this site, and have never been banned when I was a member... I was invited to be a Mod based on that attitude... I am not here to set examples on moral equalities and behavior, but to enforce them....

I would be very interested to find out which 2 senior members ur referring to....

G'day guys!

Just wanted to post a word to all here to bear in mind how we behave here on the forum, and how we communicate with others.

This can be a great forum - but not always. To be blunt, I know of two of our more popular members who have left the forum because of certain individuals and their thoughtless or arrogant comments. Others just visit not so often, or avoid certain threads for the same reason (myself included), not to mention the new people who were abused and left, to the damage of our own good name.

Please keep this forum the great place it can be, for the enjoyment of all, and think twice before we post something that may offend others - this goes especially for certain mods who behave in ways that would have them banned were they not in that position. You of all people are expected to set an example.

Cheers,
Evan

Evan,

I could not disagree more. The Mods here police members disrespecting or getting carried away all the time. They do a good job of it.

I have felt Dan's wrath before but I took it and deserved it. Get over it, I did. The thing about Dan is that he is a straight shooter and calls a spade a spade. I respect that even when it has worked against me (about 4 years ago or so when I first joined). He might be rough and gruff but we need that to police this forum. Dan (as do all the Mods) cares and invests more time in this forum then I could ever believe. Thank you guys job well done, you should hear that more often then you do (group hug now) (This is not ass kissing Dan, Islanders still suck, go Oilers!) (not that either team is playing) :lol:

Bottom line is this forum has perhaps some of the most knowledgeable people on WW2 I have ever had the pleasure to talk to. Instead of complaining about this forum just except it as it is. As much as some of the member drive me crazy at times (you know who you are LOL) I still highly respect them and their knowledge.

A4

This is a well run site, that keeps things under control because the mods make it that way.

Its basically a bit right of centre, in line with the political views of most members in this forum. But that does not prevent people with even radical views posting their opinions, provided they dont do it in an offensive or boneheaded way. You can say what you need to say, so long as you are not deliberately disrespecting people and so long as you can back up your position with some facts.

Mods have a difficult job, but they do it well in my opinion. And as far as the general population is concerned, the hard core regulars here are learning. Lord kows I have had my share of spats with people, but both myself and my "opponents" are slowly learning that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that there are no right or wrong opinions.

I dont see how that could be run better

Evan,

Word of advice, at times perhaps it is a good thing to take a break from the forum for a few days to clear your head. I have done it a few times over the years, then I have come back with a open mind ready to post and learn.

I am very glad I have done it in the past and I am glad b/c I have gained some really good friends here. Too many to list.

They have helped me through some tough times and good times in the last 4 years.

- Birth of my second child!
- Death of my Father and coming to grip with many unresolved issues between him and I.
- Death of my Mother in Law and Father in Law.
- Great career change and new job!

They are are like my long lost ugly cousin, but they are family to me. At times some drive me crazy but I love them all. :lol:

Evan, the only three things you need to do:

1) Do not insult anyone.

2) If the mods tell you to stop for any reason, then stop.

3) Have a thick skin, as this is the internet.

Just be civil and debate with the facts. If someone is saying your wrong, then ask them to provide their evidence.

I could have abit more respect than I do for the american moderators on this site But I don't disrespect them and I think thats fair

I agree that everyone has the right to their opinion and others should respect it.I agree with Syscom you shouldn't insult anyone this is where I'm having a little trouble ,don't mean to sound like a smartarse but when given the title of moderator do you then have the right to give insults?

So I suppose u have more respect for the non-American Mods then??? Interesting thought there, as 99% of the Mods are American, Wurger is the only non-American thats active.... U have really put me off with ur comments man, Im quite disapointed in u....

The answer to ur question Daniel is yes, I do have the right...

I have no problem Dan or any other mod. He and the others are all *rseholes, I know it and they know it! I'm sure that I'm not exactly the #1 on their top ten list either! :lol:

Blasted, got cut off! Sometimes it can be a good thing to do, take break for a few days to clear the head etc., come back for a fresh start, it's not easy I can tell you that, I've tried! :lol:

Sometimes the mob, sorry, the mods can seem a bit harsh, but then it can be necessary sometimes thinking about some of the, well....caracters that we've had sneaking around here. Who here remember He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned?

Becasue of this, I think that it can be hard sometimes to switch off from the Mod mode. To be honest, I think that I'd rather have it the way it is than have the Mods p*ssyfooting around like spineless primadonnas, swapping knitting ideas, cooking recipes, the latest in fashion and house design, getting excited as soon as there's SALE or a boyband like Jonas Brothers comes to town.

After a while you'll get a skin thick and tough like old leather....

An old Native American saying "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins." The Admins and Mods on this site do this job to make this place better, more smoothly run and kick out spammers and troublemakers. None of us are getting paid for this and we are human just like the rest of you.

If you don't like the way the admins and mods run the place, go somewhere else. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to make them stay.

People with thin skins should avoid any message board. People that come here looking for trouble are going to find themselves banned. Amongst the admin/mod cadre, we get a pretty good idea if a noob is going to start trouble, or has the potential to do so pretty quickly.

Do some threads get out of hand? Absolutely. Do we sometimes let that happen? Yes, but not normally. Admins and mods can't be everywhere all the time. The admin and mod team are in communication regularly and we do take big decisions seriously. Every time a big decision needs to be made, I would say that 99.9% of the time, the decisions are unanimous. So as I have told others in the past, picking a fight with an admin or mod is an unwise thing to do. Baiting one is also unwise.

It wasn't too long ago that flyboy asked if the mods "stood watches",
because it seemed [to him] that there was a least one mod on all the time.
At the time, we joked with him about there being a "flyboy watch" so we
could keep an eye on him. Actually there is a mod on, almost all the time,
because of where we live. One in Germany, one in Poland, both coasts
are covered, and I think I'm safe in saying all four US timezones are covered.

We don't just watch for spammers, we watch the posts to keep them clean
and decent. Nude pic's are not allowed, derrogatory comments about one's
skin color, or ethnic origin will get you into big trouble. We also do little
things like correct spelling to a post from someone who's first language is
not English. We try to keep this forum the best forum on the internet and
in my humble opinion, I think we've done our job.

If you've got a real beef with a mod, send him a PM. It is a private
communication between you and him...... other mods can't read your PM's.
But, be courteous, coming down on him, even in private, is not a good idea.

Like the man sez.... our door is always open.....

Charles

I have no problem Dan or any other mod. He and the others are all *rseholes, I know it and they know it!

Lucky, have you ever heard the saying, "One foot in the grave"? hahahahaha You crack me up. :lol:

I said it before and I'll say it again. The mod's here have a difficult job at times and they do it well at all times. There are many, many threads here that either I don't agree with, find offensive, or just don't like the topic. Guess what, I DONT READ THOSE! It's easy to do. In my worthless opinion, the times where everyone on this site has helped me and others (My custody fight, Wayne's mom, my dad's heart failure, etc, etc, etc) vastly outweighs the times that I was put off by a silly comment.

I think it idea of taking a small break from the site is a splended idea. I just ask that you come back!! Don't leave us because of a few words that twisted you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back