Revell 1/72nd Supermarine Walrus Mk.1 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It seems fast guys, but I started almost two weeks ago.

Thanks for the positive encouragement. But I'm worried about lower wing, engine mounts, struts and upper wing alignment. Been contemplating my best approach as that is looming.

And I won't mention the dang rigging. That's gonna be fun. I definitely need to get different superglue. The Loctite Gel that I currently have has such a long initial adhesion time, that working with such small parts my hand shaking makes gluing a real trial. I had to hold my hand still for the exhausts for at least 30sec before I could get any sort of adhesion to occur. Not acceptable for rigging.

Besides. I still need front and rear sites on my Vickers. ;)

Completed the propeller. All sources I show indicate that the propeller on the Mk.1 Pacific Fleet was a solid black with very little wear. Other modellers have made what appears to be a mistake of painting the propeller hub bare metal and the propeller tips yellow. But I can't find any evidence of this.

So black it is with only some minor wear and the hub bolts bare metal. Additional wear will be added once she's virtually finished. On another note, my dry fitting indicates the propeller diameter is too big. So once the wings are glued on, I'll need to assess the amount of shaping I may need to accomplish. I have my fingers crossed that it will be none, but if I was a betting man...

Attachments

• DSCF1820.JPG
    DSCF1820.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 90
Now for the next problem. The tail wheel/rudder assembly.

The molded version is wrong. It is molded as a solid piece. The area in red needs to be removed.

And I crushed it. Gonna have to figure out what I'm going to do here. Probably will have to scratch build the two struts dangit. :angry5:

Attachments

• DSCF1835.JPG
    DSCF1835.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF1835b.JPG
    DSCF1835b.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 101
No Matt I don't need to scratch build these two struts.You can use a thin drill to make some holes and then remove with scalpel razor the rest of plastic from red marked area.

You missed my comment, Wurger. I crushed the piece and broke it in half about right here. Otherwise three drill holes and a razor knife would have been fine. Too many pre-holiday beers last night. :lol:

Attachments

• DSCF1835b.JPG
    DSCF1835b.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 103
Got some work on there Matt!
It's a long, long time since I built a biplane, and I never liked the part where top wing and bottom wing had to be joined! The only thing I can suggest, is to make a box-jig from stiff card. That way, with a bit of luck, you should be able to align the wings for a test fit, and support the upper wing whilst the cement is setting on the struts etc. It will probably mean a bit of trial and error to achieve the correct shape for the jig, due to the positionof the engine nacelle etc., but at least it should go some way to making life easier.

Too much beer, you donkeys! That's what caused my wheel/rudder to become "less than ideal". :lol:

Nobody is reading my posts. :(

Brush up. Exams for all of you tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back