Revell 1/72nd Supermarine Walrus Mk.1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alright...

Next are the seats, metal with leather pads. I will clean up the lower pads with a touch up of steel. Won't see much of them anyway with the figures seated. Speaking of figures...

The men are on the right. Note the common moldings for the figures. Well, Dr. Mengele here, has a little suprise for these British flyboys to make them a bit more "interesting".

Attachments

• DSCF1781.JPG
    DSCF1781.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 94
Now to focus upon beginning the engine housing.

A hole was not provided for the front of the engine housing. The oil cooler inlet was blocked! Why I have no idea. So out comes the countersink, followed up by a properly sized drill bit twisted by hand to complete the hole.

Dr. Megele begins his work. Sorry chaps, but off with your heads. Mengele will remove their heads and reattach them in a more interesting position. Pilot looking port. Copilot/Observer looking down and starboard. Rear gunner/observer looking starboard (remember he faces aft) and high.

Unfortunately my fat fingers broke off one bloke's leg and I lost it. :angry5:

Attachments

• DSCF1778.JPG
    DSCF1778.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF1779.JPG
    DSCF1779.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF1780.JPG
    DSCF1780.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 92
Next up, the engine and engine housing details.

The housing is VERY basic and missing numerous details like aft vents and exhaust pipes.

Attachments

• DSCF1788.JPG
    DSCF1788.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 100
  • supermarine-walrus.jpg
    supermarine-walrus.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 010815.jpg
    010815.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 79
I have built the match box one just recently, tried a couple different schemes, and finally went with an all grey one flying over the beaches during d-day complete with invasion stripes..just have to do the markings and some weathering

I have built the match box one just recently, tried a couple different schemes, and finally went with an all grey one flying over the beaches during d-day complete with invasion stripes..just have to do the markings and some weathering

Bernhart, if I'm not mistaken, Revell and Monogram have merged and I think they are the same kit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Engine first.

The rotary engine has small exhausts elbowing out of each cylinder head. A little improvisation with solder, the wrong kind of superglue (Loctite Gel) and much cussing you end up with decent looking exhausts.

And with those short straight exhausts right fore of Mr. Nokalegoff, not only is he missing a leg, he's missing any resemblence of normal hearing. Can you imagine looking through binoculars for 4 hours searching the bright sea and listening to 700hp screaming right behind you? Talk about fatiguing. Made me think about the intercom system on the Walrus (if there is one). Certainly they don't have headsets, as Mr. Nokalegoff would have had to turn his gain up to 11 to hear any intercom instructions. I suspect there was no intercom, which destroyed the role of the gunner having to coordinate turns with the pilot. Brave men indeed.

So some engine pics first.

Attachments

• DSCF1789.JPG
    DSCF1789.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1790.JPG
    DSCF1790.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF1816.JPG
    DSCF1816.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 96
Pics of the engine I have show it to be all black with raw metal in areas around the magnetos, some general wear to on the cylinders, rust exhausts and some minor grime.

So from basic to painted.

Attachments

• DSCF1817.JPG
    DSCF1817.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF1819.JPG
    DSCF1819.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 98
Next engine housing.

This proved to be a royal b!tch. After much dry fitting, cussing, dry fitting and more cussing, I couldn't figure out how the engine housing struts aligned. Only have doing some research did I finally conclude that the engine housing is assymetically mounted between the wings! :shock:

The engine housing is mounted yawed to the airplane centerline. Why? I can only guess that this is to counteract the effect of torque. If anyone knows, please post an explanation.

The engine housing must also be assembled with the struts attached. Thus the putty and sanding work was a little precarious with the support struts in the way.

More work is required for the aft engine housing vents. But that will have to come a bit later. I'm off the store to get some dinner for the family and grab me a beer.

Attachments

• DSCF1798.JPG
    DSCF1798.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF1821.JPG
    DSCF1821.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1822.JPG
    DSCF1822.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back