Revell 1/72nd Supermarine Walrus Mk.1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Agree, nice work. the engines are looking very good.
you're right about the Revell 'merger', this took place I think at least two years ago, with magazines often refering to Revell/Monogram. There's still Revell as you know it in the U.S.A. (Revell/Monogram), and Revell GmBh in Germany, generally refered to as Revell(Germany), each producing their own kits, with some cross-marketing. Many kits now produced by R/M are from moulds from other manufacturers, for example Hasegawa and Matchbox. I'm virtually certain that the Walrus is the old Matchbox kit, dating from the '70's. Good news that this is happening, as the Matchbox range was vast and comprehensive, in 72nd 32nd and some 48th scale.
Looking forward to the next stage Matt.

Now that I'm fortified with my Thanksgiving week off vacation beer, here are some more. Fuselage is going together. Clamped in the 6in vice for security and clothespins for merit. She aint goin' nowheres.

Attachments

• DSCF1801.JPG
    DSCF1801.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 91
Next up, the Walrus Mk.1 begins to take shape.

1st Pic - Wings, stabilizers, seats and forward hatch are installed.

2nd Pic - Major assemblies are completed (minus details)

3rd Pic - Masking cockpit and rear hatch

Attachments

• DSCF1814.JPG
    DSCF1814.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF1815.JPG
    DSCF1815.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF1818.JPG
    DSCF1818.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 93
The front observer/gunner hatch is entirely too thick for scale. The kit hatch is thick enough for a Panzer MkIV front mantlet. So some sanding is in order. The first pic has some rounding that is corrected in the second pic.

The third and fourth pics are poorly showing the newly scribed hatch lines. Unfortunately they did not come through. Had to be careful with the scribed lines and hinges, because the hatch to scale is now probably less than 1/64in thick.

Attachments

• DSCF1830.JPG
    DSCF1830.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF1829.JPG
    DSCF1829.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF1826.JPG
    DSCF1826.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF1825.JPG
    DSCF1825.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 82
Okay... next the Vickers machine gun.

I really wanted to provide some realism here, as this is where most peoples eyes are drawn (i.e., to the weapons).

So first up a base paint job. War expedient weapons from Britain were black, with wood 'furniture'. The mounts were grey to preven corrosion.

Attachments

• DSCF1831.JPG
    DSCF1831.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 81
Well off the sprues. The Vickers magazine is entirely too thick for a .303cal weapon. So some sanding was in order.

Finally a coat of flat black brings the Vickers back to boilerplate.

Attachments

• DSCF1833.JPG
    DSCF1833.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 88
Sorry for blurry pics, but even with the macro setting is REALLY small.

The next process was to paint the 97rd drum magazine. Painting steel/grey over the top and side first. Second, using a razor knife, score the sides and symetrically over the top, revealing the black underneath in the scores.

Attachments

• DSCF1837.JPG
    DSCF1837.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF1839.JPG
    DSCF1839.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 87
The 'Shagbat' takes shape! Looking great Matt. I like the work you've done on the hatch and the VGO M.G.'s; dedication in that scale, and well done.

The Vickers had a vertical straight handle of wood framed with metal.

So an extremely small Dremel bit (1/64th) was used to rout out the handle material.

Finally, the barrel was cut at a 30 degree angle to represent the compensator for muzzle rise. Can't let those Zekes get by because we failed to include the muzzle rise compensator, now can we. ;)

Attachments

• DSCF1834.JPG
    DSCF1834.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF1840.JPG
    DSCF1840.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF1842.JPG
    DSCF1842.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back