Revell 1/72nd Supermarine Walrus Mk.1 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Exceptionally neat work Matt, it looks a larger scale in the pics, being so tidy.
How come my clasp knife is on your workbench?

And now for some masking in preparation for the camouflage.

Attachments

• DSCF1864.JPG
    DSCF1864.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1865.JPG
    DSCF1865.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 88
I don't know how the Masters do it, like Wayne and Terry, but I put my maskingtape on a glass surface. Then I use a razor knife to cut my pattern. The clean glass allows the maskingtape to lift without destroying the tape adhesive and also allows my razor knife the best background for proper edge cutting.

It does take a little practice to calculate your camo with respect to your model, but it is not too difficult.

Attachments

• DSCF1866.JPG
    DSCF1866.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF1867.JPG
    DSCF1867.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF1868.JPG
    DSCF1868.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF1869.JPG
    DSCF1869.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1870.JPG
    DSCF1870.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 90
Yup looks awesome

Doing an Excellent job Matt!

Your making me want to get my one out the wardrobe!

If I did that sorta job on mine I'b be thrilled!

Looking VERY good Matt! Yes, those times I use masking tape, that's how I cut it too. A clasp, or lock knife is a knife with a blade that folds back into the haft, or handle. Unlike a 'penknife' which has a straight blade, the clasp knife has a curved blade, like the one on your bench, at top right, with the wooden handle and metal 'strap' and butt.

I usually only mask when I need to or to avoid overspray, otherwise I mostly do my camo freehand...

You have a much better airbrush than I do. I can't get even do remotely hard edges with my brush in 1/72nd. Then again, if I had a better brush, I wouldn't know how to use it properly anyway. I've only ever used a old Badger with a single action (cannot control air and paint flow) with one tip. Would love to see some tips or suggestions on the advantages of your gun.

like the one on your bench, at top right, with the wooden handle and metal 'strap' and butt.

Yeah, I've had that knife since about 1979. Bought it off a guy in highschool (whom I think was fencing it in hindsight). Handles are made of stag bone. Looked really nice at the time, but makes it a real pain to keep the bolsters clean without getting the cleaner into the bone. The handles are really porous. It's my garage utility knife now. Probably the best edge holding blade I own. Wish my stoopid Henkels kitchen knives would hold an edge even remotely like that one.

Today was a relatively warm day (62F) so I wanted to take advantage of the "warm" garage temps.

Masked off the lower portion of the Walrus in the typical scalloped fashion. Was a little worried that my masking might take off the recently painted acrylic from yesterday, but did a few test masks and decided to risk it. The base grey-blue was enamel, so I wasn't worried too much about that. But with the cold temps and my Walrus curing in the garage, I was still worried, enamel or not. I was anxious to complete the camo so that I could seal it with Future. Even though the masking was not taking the paint off, it is easily scratched and gentle handling was beginning to show its marks.

Attachments

• DSCF1907.JPG
    DSCF1907.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF1906.JPG
    DSCF1906.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF1905.JPG
    DSCF1905.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF1904.JPG
    DSCF1904.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF1903.JPG
    DSCF1903.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 80
Well my holiday is over. A week off was nice and next week I'm back at the grind. :( So progress will come to a commensurate crawl for the Walrus. Hopefully I can fit some time in here and yon.

Oh and the assembly was again staged. Just sitting on top of one another.

Final pics...

Attachments

• DSCF1908.JPG
    DSCF1908.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1909.JPG
    DSCF1909.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF1910.JPG
    DSCF1910.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF1911.JPG