Revell B-17F 'Memphis Belle' 1/48 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weareborg

Airman
Oct 14, 2010
As I stated in my intro, this is my 1st model build in 20 odd yrs. I love the B-17 Flying Fortress. It is one of my favourite airplanes ever built, and the 'Memphis Belle' is probably the most famous aircraft of that period in history.

So here are a few pics of my progress so far. I know the picture quality ain't that great, and I will try to take better pics next time. Atleast you can't see my terrible paint job. :oops:

I want to try and get this finished the best I can, so that I can move on. The misses has already said that she now knows what to get me for my birthday next month, and for xmas. Little does she know, that the other models I want cost alot more than this one. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Andy

Attachments

• box.png
    box.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 593
  • cockpit1.png
    cockpit1.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 577
  • cockpit2.png
    cockpit2.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 482
Not a bad start. I tried building the 1/72 Memphis Belle twice and both times it was a nightmare! Looking forward to this one.

Welcome to the mad house, from 'somewhere in England'. Shouldn't be a problem with this kit - it's basically an adaptation of the same mould for the Monogram B17G, Revell and Monogram being the same company.
It can be a bit basic in parts, with a few minor fit 'issues', but it does date from the late 1960's, so to be expected.
Straight from the box it'll be acceptable, and with a bit of care and attention, mainly around seams etc, it can produce a stunning model.
Of course, 'Memphis Belle' being relatively well-known, even though it only flew 25 missions, there is a lot of documented / photo evidence, which makes the modeller's task precise, if the model is to look like the 'real thing'.

mongram and revell are the same company? really, i did not know that. always thought monogram was a higher quality. My B-29 is going together very nicely and the detail is not bad at all

Looks like a good start there. Keep taking and posting pictures.
mongram and revell are the same company? really, i did not know that. always thought monogram was a higher quality. My B-29 is going together very nicely and the detail is not bad at all
They use to be separate and merged maybe 15-20 years ago. Monogram use to be in Morton Grove, so close to where I grew up that I could walk there. No free samples though unfortunately!:(

Welcome to the fold Andy and a great choice for your first build. We've had several B-17's started here over the last year or so and I can't think of one that has been finished. Mine included. The B-17 is an all time favorite of mine so I look forward to watching your progress.

Again, welcome to the best modeling forum on the web!

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I think the best thing about the internet, is the ability to post topics and comments on forums like this. No matter where in the world you are. It soon becomes a great community of friends who are there to help out and advise no matter what.

Anyway, here are a few more pics of my progress this morning. You comments and opinions are always welcome.

Andy

Attachments

• cockpit3.png
    cockpit3.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 496
  • cockpit4.png
    cockpit4.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 481
  • front1.png
    front1.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 474
  • inside1.png
    inside1.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 472
Thanks Wayne. I can't believe how much I am enjoying doing all this again after so long a time. Don't think the misses is too impressed with me taking up the dining room table all the time though. :lol: Unfortunately I don't have a spare room that I could convert into a modeling workshop (which I would just love). The only possible space is in the loft, but there is no ventilation other than having the loft hatch open all the time.

Looking very nice. But remeber about keeping of a proper symmetry of the fuselage and of a whole model. A such big models like getting curves at all planes.

Oh man, the loft sounds great. If only you could get some ventilation installed up there and make it your own space.

Love the coffee cup pedestal but be carefull the model doesn't slip off and bust your .50's.

I think there is a lot of pot luck with kits due to quality control. My revell Memphis Belle was a present and was so bad the two fuslage halves just didnt go together but that was in the 70s. god luck with yours, mine may have been sat in the sun in a shop window for years.

Nice plane. I built the Memphis Bell once when I was a kid. Loved it. I had the same problem about a work surface. I cut a piece of plywood about 18" square and glued old matting to it on both sides. The matting was old ESD matting but it wasn't hard for me to get at the time. Anyway, I now have a portable work surface that I can use almost anywhere. I could work on the model in the front room on the floor while we watched a movie together. Here is a picture of it with my P-61 sitting on it. Hope it helps... :)

Attachments

• HPIM2299.JPG
    HPIM2299.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 286
  • HPIM2301.JPG
    HPIM2301.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 283
TBolt, thanks, shows you how long i've been out of this. 30 years ago i was doing control-line flying and making my own planes then came the kids and that was pretty much the end of all models one way or another
Andy, looking good, were the b-17s really that green on the inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back