RIP Howard Pardue (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Howard Pardue was killed in his Grumman F8F Bearcat late Wednesday afternoon.

The aircraft got airborne briefly and then crashed. Some people called our shop and said it look for all the world like he attempted a slow roll on takeoff and impacted inverted ... something Howard never did in his act or in airshows before.

Speculation is rampant, but I think I'll wait and see what turns up before engaging in speculation myself.

Howard was a great guy and a smooth stick, and a good friend to our shop. We'll miss him.

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed. Heard about it yesterday morning first thing, also on FB.

Gone but not forgotten :salute:

Attachments

• HW1.jpg
    HW1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 135
Very sad. I am not going to speculate about what happened and I highly discourage anyone else from speculating out of respect for the family. We lost a legend and icon in the aviation community and I saddened by this loss.

Greg, I am sorry to hear about your friend.

I have a question: Was the Bearcat a complete write-off?

Or can it be salvaged?

Understand I dont want this question to diminish a man's death, just respectfully asking.

Hi Pinsong,

I don't know the status or condition of the aircraft. ANY aircraft is restorable, but the real question is, "Is is worth it to restore?"

We had a guy come through the shop taoday who is freinds with a guy who was taxiing to takeoff when Howard had his accident. He said the radio call was for Howard and a friend to fly together (both warbirds), and their takeoffs would be singles with each one doing a Cuban Eight on takeoff with 90° point rolls back to upright. Howard apparently made his takeoff, made the first half loop, went into knife edge ... and stayed there all the way to the ground.

That is what was related and I have absolutely no personal klnowledge of the accident other than the fact that it happened otherwise. There was a lot of speculation about WHY, but I don't feel that is appropriate to pass on or engage in myself in a public forum.

Just wanted to pass on the apparent facts of what was seen from the taxiway at the airport in question. Whether or not it is true I cannot say ... it is second-hand to me from someone whom I would call a "reliable source," but you never know, do you?

Hi Pinsong,

I don't know the status or condition of the aircraft. ANY aircraft is restorable, but the real question is, "Is is worth it to restore?"

We had a guy come through the shop taoday who is freinds with a guy who was taxiing to takeoff when Howard had his accident. He said the radio call was for Howard and a friend to fly together (both warbirds), and their takeoffs would be singles with each one doing a Cuban Eight on takeoff with 90° point rolls back to upright. Howard apparently made his takeoff, made the first half loop, went into knife edge ... and stayed there all the way to the ground.

That is what was related and I have absolutely no personal klnowledge of the accident other than the fact that it happened otherwise. There was a lot of speculation about WHY, but I don't feel that is appropriate to pass on or engage in myself in a public forum.

Just wanted to pass on the apparent facts of what was seen from the taxiway at the airport in question. Whether or not it is true I cannot say ... it is second-hand to me from someone whom I would call a "reliable source," but you never know, do you?

Terrible. Thank you for your information. I was just curious about the aircraft. From your description, it sounds like it hit a lot harder than I had pictured in my mind.

We have lost way too many good pilots and warbirds lately!

Warbirds were never expected to last a war, let alone an entire generation...but the pilots are irreplacable :(

Blue Skies, Mr. Pardue

Hadn't heard of him personally, but sounds like yet another aerobatic legend has been lost. Very sad.

I suspect there will further restrictions on the warbird circuit before too long at this rate aswell.

Blue skies Mr. Pardue...:salute:

Howard was a former U.S. Marine Corps Aviator and his Bearcat was the prototype XF8F Bearcat ... the first plane of the type ever made. Howard was a very smooth and accomplished stick and was a member of the Heritage flight team that flies old warbirds in close formation with current US military aircraft at airshows. He was a Hertiage Flight check pilot and instructor. Howard was 77 years old, but put on as good an F8F Bearcat aerobatic demonstration last year at our airshow as I have seen. He was a great friend, a great showman and we'll miss him.

Blue skies, Howard ...

Very sorry to hear this. I saw him fly many times. He was legendary in Texas. An amazing person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back