Show Us Your Artwork!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK, from what I've seen of the few photos on Iwo Jima, the taxi way at least appears to be either Marsden matting or Sommerfield track. I haven't found any photos to show the dispersal areas, but at a guess, I would think they would also be Marsden matting, laid on what appears to be very loose, dusty ground.
Hope this helps.

I will address a few issues with this piece as I go along. First up, I wanted to post a sketch to give an indication of how I will tackle the Marsden Matting. It won't cover the entire background as they were manufactured in sections. so I'll place the main scene on it and fade it out in a subtle way in the background.

Attachments

• groundscene_p47_pencil_26DEC13.jpg
    groundscene_p47_pencil_26DEC13.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 135
Correction!
I've just discovered that Marsden matting is the American name for PSP !
I inadvertently thought it was the American form of steel mesh, similar to Sommerfeld tracking! The material on Iwo Jima appears to be the Sommerfeld type, steel mesh, not PSP.
Apologies for any confusion and inconvenience.

Looks good once again, but if I could offer this: If it's PSP that's being depicted, the holes are much too large. PSP planks came in sections 10 feet long and 15 inches wide with 3 rows of holes per plank so the holes would be only about 4 inches or less in diameter.

Thanks guys for your help. Is this what it might look like? Have you got any images, I searched to no avail.

Attachments

• xch4.jpg
    xch4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 134
That's the sort of stuff, and probably as good as you'll get in the way of photos. Many photos of 9th Air Force fighter-bomber units, taken in Normandy, show the tracking, but, with aircraft on it, it's normally partly sunk into the grass, and not very clear.
Here's some drawings of the various types of metal tracking, showing style, design, construction and dimensions, which should help. As you can see from your photo, once on the ground, it's not exactly standing out - and that's just been laid. Once it's been taxied over eleventeen times, and covered in dust or mud, with grass trying to grow through, it more indistinct.

Attachments

• Can Jan 792.jpg
    Can Jan 792.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 144
  • Can Jan 793.jpg
    Can Jan 793.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 131
Thanks! It looks like all I need to do is try and convey it by just carefully drawing perpendicular lines and then making the area where it's laid down a tad darker. I'll try to do a pencil rough first so that I have something to guide me when doing the final version.

Here is a sketch as a basis for a larger pastel that I would like to do, This is in acrylic, 7x5 on board.

Attachments

• me109_sketch1.jpg
    me109_sketch1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back