Sinkhole: You have got to be $hitting me!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi-san, those pics are amazing. How many trillions of yen did that cost?! :shock:

Total cost is said 0.24 Trillion JP-Yen = about 2.4 billion US-Dollars.
It covers about 6.3Km = about 4 miles of the channel length, including 5 "sinkholes":)

main1_3c.jpg

Don't most of the major cities (at least all those near major waterways/lakes/oceans) have a similar drainage/overflow system dug under their cities? I know I've seen several highlighted on Discovery at one point or another, maybe History channel too.

If they have one in Seattle, I'll eat my hat. Christ nothing like that in Tokyo!!!!!!!

My town Osaka also has such a drainage/overflow system.
It is a canal since the 17th century:)
I love it though.

Attachments

• P5300025S.JPG
    P5300025S.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
We have the Deep Tunnel here in Chicago. Not as fancy as the one in Japan but it is a huge system that took decades to build. I know a lot of people that worked on it. The green shaded area in the map is the Chicago city limits to give you an idea of the extent of the system.

Attachments

• P1420178.JPG
    P1420178.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 107
  • dt4.jpg
    dt4.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 115
  • dt 3.jpg
    dt 3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 115
  • dt2.png
    dt2.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 122
Yeah, that looks familiar....I think the Chicago network was on the show. Dang, wish I could remember which program it was on, I could look it up!

Sounds familiar. Is that the show where the guy goes to a different city/ruin every episode, and explores the sewers/basements/built-over ruins?

That hole is gapingly huge, and seriously dark; hence hinting at a larger underground cavern as similarily pointed out earlier. I think the next couple of blocks in radius should move somewhere else, before the rest of the flange/lip falls in.

The Tokyo anti flood system looks very impressive (as does the Chicago one too), as for earthquakes, hopefully its deep enough that should it collapse, it wouldn't cause much subsidance; otherwise post large quake, there would be some new river courses/beds/routes. I assume it's designed to withstand upto a guesstimate of say around 3.6R?

Thanks for your care, razor1uk.
Though I am not sure what the '3.6R' means exactly, the Tokyo facility is said designed expecting a seismic intensity of 7 (1,500Gal.) of the future earthquake. The radius of underground tunnel is said 5.0 meters.
980Gal. = 1G
Thanks!

Arigatto Shinpachi, by R i was trying to mean (R)ichter Scale. G? (G)iant Galllon? ;) :/ ?? Certainly as long as there's some water in the system, that will have a dampening effect to any quake, but the any surging in the tank would creat some additional stresses. But since its upto around 7.0 resistance, it should be ok

G for Gravity, sir.
R for Richter Scale seems a synonym of M for Magnitude.
I am not informed of its value for the facility at the moment.
Thanks for your kind lecture, razor1uk:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back