Some of my Grandfathers pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is some serious damage. I am amazed it floated long enough to start a towing operation

Great set of pics.
I used to have quite a collection, showing knocked-out tanks in the Western Desert, taken by my father, plus others of general scenes in North Africa, but they were lost in a house move some years ago - very annoying !

Those last photo's look to be a Dido class Light Cruiser under attack , the look of triple fwd turrets , and the spacing of the twin masts and funnels match a Dido class profile.

Thank you for posting the photos of HMS Heythrop. My father was on board that day and I can now fully understand why he had a dim view of dramatised depictions of torpedo impacts. He could well have been one of those on the foredeck in the photograph. He went on to be torpedoed a second time on HMS Medway 3 months later. He did make it through WW2 and was called up again for the "Police Action" in Korea. Much to my mother's disappointment as I was a new born at that time. He passed away in 1992 having worked for the Admiralty, ironically, servicing and testing torpedoes in the West of Scotland.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread