1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Guys,

Was hoping to make a start today but am sitting here after a "probable" last night was marred by some damage.... wife complained of a rat in the ceiling..so Captain Husband to the rescue. Baits and an ultra sonic deterrent to hand..unfortunately climbing around in a roof space armed only with a lantern, noise maker, poison and a night's worth of "Christmas Cheer", was "ill-advised", apparently. A concussion and an inch and a half cut on my head has made today less than ideal for cutting metal and rivetting....

I my defense, in a single night, Mr Rat has disappeared.

Am counting it as a victory....

;)

Last edited:
I just want to say that I HATE you all :) :) :)

Ok..well, just off an 18 day holiday in which a grand total of zero hours was able to be devoted to the Spitfire build (other than picking up the skin aluminium). Apparently a fourth decent concussion is not anywhere as easy to recover from as the first three (all within an 8 month period, 10 years ago). Had half a bottle of my "medicine" last night, so see how I go tomorrow...may take the day off and build.

Well,

I have had serious delays which have actually worked in my favour....

The methods I will be using have actually morphed much closer to the real Spitfire building methods. Accordingly I've been madly making wooden router patterns, swage dies and had a friend adjust a small GA to a full size drawing of Frame 8 to copy and use as a paper pattern for everything.

Also, one purchase.

s-l50sssss0_zpsyzbklspj.jpg

One new "Donation" from Richard at Airtech (who I am helping with his latest project..but much more of that later, I suspect!)

Late Spitfire I Panel :

15970217_10154962210743092_2060687735_n_zpscfwuaim0.jpg

A couple of changes will be necessary to revert it to early but MUCH easier than chain drilling one or getting drawings set up in DX files for Chris to laser cut a stainless one!

And, last but not least, a purchase from "Replica Aircraft Parts"

BFP

s-l1x600_zpscpm4qhnx.jpg

I felt I needed to pay for something..as they have made further donations of a Parking Brake Clip Bolt, an Undercarriage Down Circuit Switch (for the side of the throttle) and an Aluminium Gun Button Ring (correct for the Spit I) .

More as things develop.

Last edited:
Oh..guys,

I need some advice too...

The original Spitfire I panel was screen printed with most of the legends, not engraved. I don't think screen printing is within my capabilities but would decals work? I could clear coat them after? If so, how would I go about creating my own? I have seen mention of it here but I also heard they landed a man on the moon and haven't managed to do THAT for myself yet either.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back