spitfire MKvb jan zumbach

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek

i'll have to wait for the putty which i ordered with the Tamiyafocke wulf wf190 A-3 model. should be here Yuesday or Wednesday ( b****y bank holiday weekend )

Hi Wojtek

the one's nearest the cannons on each wing.

Done abit of a search on the 303 sqd the spitfire MK.vb was with this sqd in 1942, they started with hurricanes MK2 in 1941 and ended with mustangs MK3s in 1945

303 Squadron were never equipped with Hurricane Mk IIs or Mustang Mk IIIs.

8th August 1940 - Hurricane Mk I
22nd January 1941 Spitfire Mk I
3rd March 1941 Spitfire Mk IIA
20th May 1941 Spitfire Mk IIB
While resting at Speke
13th July 1941 to 24th August 1941 Hurricane Mk I
25th August 1941 to 6th October 1941 Spitfire Mk I
Back to 1st Polish Wing Northolt
7th October 1941 Spitfire Mk VB
1st June 1943 Spitfire F.IXC
12th November 1943 Spitfire VB, VC, LF VB, LF VC
20th July 1944 Spitfire F IX, LF IX, HF IX.
4th April 1945 Mustang Mk IV and IVA

Mustangs were only used on three wartime operations.

Zumbach used EN951 from September 1942 until the end of his tour 1st December 1942.

Great work there Wojtek!
Keith, the only things I will add are to reinforce what Wojtek said - there is no rush in modelling, especially with the larger scales. The bigger, more complex and detailed the model, the more time it will, and should, take, especially if you want to do justice to the model, and the cost of it! For the price of this kit, and the possibilities that can result in a superb replica, this kit needs time, and above all, patience.
The other thing is, the main problem with the joint at the wing root looks like it's due to the lack of dihedral. This has been caused by the need for the wing to be held in place against the root until set, even more so due to the physical size and weight of the kit parts. To do this, there are various methods, the most simple being to set the wings at the correct angle, then hold them there with tape from tip to tip,, as shown on the Bf109G in my 'siggy'.
Overall though, seeing the size of this kit, you haven't done too bad a job. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think this particular Spit had those wing-strengthening ribs on the top of the wings. The model is based on the BBMF's MkV, AB910, which had the ribs added after years of service, I believe after WW2. I remember asking about these when I was sitting in its cockpit, as I'd never seen them before up until then (!982). They were added, often retro-fitted, as a result of rippling in the wing surface above the relatively thin area over the wheel wells, caused by the stresses of the cannon when fired.

Thanks Terry

i will file and sand them off as you and Wojtek rightly say. I feel ashamed as i have very little knowledge and tools for the job.
I just usually build them straight out of the box:oops:

I am not as good as you guy's at model building. This is just something to take away the pain i am going through. Don't get me wrong i love model building. I know i will never be that good at it. ALL you guy's are GOOD to good for me but i know my limitation's.

i just like talking to you guy's and looking at your finished models, it gives me something to aim for.

SORRY for blabbing on i am now drunk and going to bed :oops::oops::oops:

No need to be ashamed Keith! Everyone has to start somewhere, and can't expect to be an 'ace' on their first flight in a Spitfire, if you get the comparison!!
There's nothing wrong with building OOB either, and as for never being as good, you can easily be as good as your abilities, and the limited dexterity of your condition will allow. I know, I'm in the same boat!
I used to be a lot better before I got RA, but modelling not only helps to distract from the pain, but helps me focus on things other than missing the extremely active life I used to lead. This is more so now that I'm not 'out and about' as I would be if employed, which, of course, I can't be, due to the disease.
In time, and learning from things like the present small problems with the Spit, your skills and abilities will improve immensely, and you'll be able to show your models with pride, especially pride in the accomplishment.
Not knowing enough about a particular aircraft is something that can easily be overcome, by a little research, via books, films and the 'net. This is in itself a very enjoyable and educational part of the hobby.
I am very fortunate among modellers, as I have had the opportunity to see, and sometimes work with, most of the types I have modelled or painted, over a very long period of time. There are many who build models of particular types, not even having seen a good photograph, never mind the real thing!
This is fine, as it's not always possible to see the real aircraft, even at a distance, or close-up in a museum, let alone working, and being in it or very near to it. What irritates me are those people who spout off about a certain type, demanding they are right over certain points, without having seen, or had any experience of the type in question!
Fortunately, I don't come into contact with that type of person very often, and certainly not on this forum.
Keep at it mate, you'll get there.
I'll have the FW190 stuff for you tomorrow.

Keith there is nothing wrong in building modles straight out of the box. Many of us do that in the way.But if you look at the leading edge of the real Spitfire ( for instance) can you see a seam line there? I think now. Even these Russians WW2 fighters that were said they were produced without any good quality, were made smooth with a putty and sanding.The same was done to the German aircraft especially at the end of WW2.What is more P-51 Mustang wing was made smooth in the same way ( putty , sanding and polishing ).That's way a modeller has to follow the way in order to get a nice model appearance.Many modellers who make their models out of boxes concentrate on making their painting as good as they can do that.So it is vital to prepare all surfaces correctly for that.Simply painting reveals all inaccuracies.

Concerning tools you could use for modelling please have a look around the modelling section.We were talking about many of them here.Also it is not a shame of having very little knowledge and tools.The process needs some time to be improved.
Nobody is perfect including me.;)

No need to be ashamed Keith! Everyone has to start somewhere, and can't expect to be an 'ace' on their first flight in a Spitfire, if you get the comparison!!

All except Wayne then! He was probably born with a 1/48 Spit or Zero in his hand....first words being "modeling" and first complete sentence "where the h*ll is my glue woman!?".... I'd very much guess that it was about that same for Wojtek but in Polish! :lol:

Agree with boys Keith! We all start somewhere (some start waaay ahead on the last stretch before the finish line though, right Wojtek?), and there's nothing wrong with building OOB, I'm still doing it and will most likely kep doing so, before I feel comfortable enough to touch the after market stuff that I have...:oops:

I still have a hard time accepting the outstanding work Terry did, with his pain etc...some very impressive work there!

I am not as good as you guy's at model building. This is just something to take away the pain i am going through.
Anyone that do this is a top notch builder in my book, don't sell yourself short mate or I'll have one of the lads b*tchslap you! :lol:

You're doing great pal, keep at it! :thumbright:

Presuming oob means "out of the box" I have build all my plastic models this way...
Keith, you are doing a great job with this Spitfire model. Keep up the good work. :thumbright:

Awesome work, Ellis!

If you think you're bad, just think that your doing really good and that you were born to build these awesome models. As for OOB's, welcome to the family-everyone has done them at one point or another, so don't worry, build the model, and generally have fun! Who cares what the finished project looks like, 'cause the model is your expression of the artist in you- so make it any way you want! :lol:

What I'm trying to say is that you should not worry about historical accuracy or great details,which are all good, but just have fun! You don't need to build and exqthe most detailed uisitly painted model to get the good feeling of completeing a model.That's why this is called a hobby. ;)

Just finished painting the spitfire. Next up the dreaded Decals ( which i hate as i have great difficulty putting on ):oops: I will put pics up when it is complete with decals.

Keith what is your problem with a decal putting on ? Could you explain? If you don't want you don't have to answer.

Hi Wojtek

years ago ( when i was a kid :) ) i kept ripping them and with to heavy a hand as i used to get excited as it was nearly finished. And ever since then i have hated putting them on incase it happens again then i am stuck with no decals to put on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back