Stuka Mistel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Yup. That's what it sez. Years ago I bought some old unmade airfix kits at a junkyard sale and they've been sitting around for years gathering dust. Well, under lockdown, stuff got weird, so I decided to go through my model collection and begin the Ju 87 and Bf 109E kits. I had no idea what I wanted to do with these, but I knew I wanted to do something different. This is what I came up with.

Stuka Mistel i

Stuka Mistel ii

The struts are impovised to determine length of the struts I'll use. Let me just say that both kits are terrible and are showing their age. All the horrid oversize panel lines and rivets have been sanded off. This is just a means of practicing painting - I don't have an airbrush, so brushing it is. I'll post pics when I'm done. The kits didn't come with decals so I'm having to improvise. It's gonna be a North African theme, so the Bf 109 will be in a desert scheme and the Stuka as a discarded Picciatello snaffled back by the Luftwaffe and the lot used as an anti-ship weapon. Anyway, enough waffling.

So, something of a progress report, painting finished, just need to put on the decals and a bit of a dirty wash over the aircraft and then fit canopies and little fittings and we're done.

Stuka Mistel iii

The uprights on which the Bf 109 sit are made of sprue and some thin plastic I had lying around. I heated up a piece of 20 thou lockwire, stabbed it in each end of the poles. I poked holes into the Stuka where I wanted them to go and then glued them in with CA glue. The Bf 109 has locating holes, but I'm not going to glue it on; it should just sit comfortably in place.

Stuka Mistel iiii

Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread