Swamp thing..... T34 recovered from swamp

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
its amazing the treads still werent rusted too badly and they were free enough to roll. i like seeing stuff like that. would love to find something myself one day.

Fantastic! Was that a shell embedded in the glacis plate, to the left of the driver's hatch?
Lots of live ordnance still on board, with the ammo, RPSh magazines and grenades - the latter would be dicey to handle!

Fresh water boggs are great for preservation like RA stated.I have a couple of obs though the tracks turning means she was in neutral upon entering the bogg are we have a good tranny and motor!#2 what on GOD's green Earth are they throwing land mines"I know" they've been submersed for 60 years and I guess thier not like bullets that can stand being submerged:dontknow:.#3 the LIVE rounds would make me alittle unesay it is said that even rounds on sunken ships are not inert.These Russian boys have got balls and get to find all the cool stuff :).Evan like you I wonder how did she go inverted??

my eyes bugged out when i saw that and thought " these guys are nuts!" like you i thought those were mines but when they did the close up it showed they were the drums for the machineguns. it doesnt matter if the ordnance had been under water for 60-70 years...its still dangerous. you can dive sunken warships at truk lagoon and other places where there are still crates and piles of unexpended shells. you steer clear of them. they should've had a sapper or other EOD tech onsite to deal with that. perhaps the tank drove onto a frozen lake and went through the ice..thus somersaulting onto its top. they didnt show any human remains so i am assuming the crew had time to get out.

My guess on the tank going turtle would be that it was driving along, possibly during the early spring, and was crossing this frozen lake (maybe unaware that it was a lake?), when the ice gave way under one tread, causing it to capsize and sink. Wonder if the crew made it out?

Great find Gary!

Yep, peat bogs are fantastic for preservation, many viking and celtic artifacts surviving in almost mint condition after being deposited in such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back