Switcha is back but not kicking yet.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi to one and all. I have been absent for the last 6 months due to the flooding here in Emerald, Queensland Australia. The heavens opened up on boxing day and by New Years eve our river and 60% of Queensland was well and truely in flood. The flood was a 1 in a 200 year flood, apparently, we had a couple of days warning and moved as much as we could to higher ground but as we were not in a "flood area" we did not move everything and spent a lot of time helping others. Eventually 80% of our town was under water and even the evacuation centers were put on alert to evacuate. Scary stuff. Anyway 6 months later and we have moved back home after rebuilding the house. It is amazing just how much of a house is destroyed by water, you don't think about it but just about everything is attached to the floor and gets wet in some way.
Word of warning to anyone staring down a flood DO NOT STACK WATER PROOF BOXES ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. I stacked every last reference book on modeling, aircraft, ships etc I had in water proof boxes but I then put them on top of each other to save space. What happened is that the bottom box still floated even with all the books stacked and as soon as it floated it fell over and drowned the whole lot. :evil: Every last reference book I had was stuck together with evil smelling flood mud. A friend has tried to rescue them but they are very sad and a lot of them could not be saved at all. We had approx 450mm (1 1/2 feet) of water through the whole house. But enough of the bad stuff.

We are now home but my modeling desk is no more and my modeling gear is in several different boxes all over the house. All the models survived and I am now re discovering all the tools and bits that I have bought and stored up to use one day. I also discovered a resin 1/32 cockpit for a F-4 Phantom that I had forgotten about. BONUS.
It is going to be a month or so before I'm back up modeling but the light is at the end of the tunnel.

Attachments

• SDC10303.JPG
    SDC10303.JPG
    792.7 KB · Views: 334
  • SDC10323.JPG
    SDC10323.JPG
    931.1 KB · Views: 322
  • SDC10377.JPG
    SDC10377.JPG
    793 KB · Views: 343
Sorry for your misfortune. Flood is a scary stuff as you said. We had one in my town years ago when I was little. It was irrigation canal that flooded threatening houses around it. We had our entire back yard flooded up to the back porch, but luckily water didn't penetrate inside the house. The canal still floods from time to time (usually in the spring), but nothing so serious as that year.

Best wishes to you in getting back to normal life.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the loss of your books, which I know are hard to replace. But at least you and the family are safe, and can hopefully get back to 'normal' soon.

You can rebuild a house, you can buy more things and you can make more memories. You cannot get back life. It is good that you made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back