Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito Mk.VI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. I have done a bit more including re-doing some of the cockpit. There was too much green so I have made a few changes and most of the green still seen in the pictures in today's post will not be seen once the aircraft is completed. The engine nacelles have gone together quite nicely and I have completed the left main undercarriage. I want to find the guy who designed the actuator arm and have a word or two...what a tough time I had but then again it maybe it was my big fingers. When I do the right gear I may attach the actuator arm before assembling the two struts.

Anyhow, here are some more pics of the progress.

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

I am pleased with the progress to date, I very much appreciate the tips and suggestions as well as the kind comments. I would have liked to have done more this past few days but the weather here has been so nice I have spent tons of time outside cleaning up my place after a terrible winter. Lots of trees down that I still need to get to.

Cheers,

Jeff

It's coming along nicely Jeff. I'm a bit puzzled why you've painted over the green though. Apart from the instrument panel, radios and consoles etc, the entire interior was Cockpit Grey Green, including the insides of the canopy frames !
BTW, I don't know if it's included in the Tamiya kit, but there was a folding armour plate, with a circular, armoured glass porthole, behind the navigator's seat, attached to the top of the bulkhead.

Looking good although it seems you didn't assemble both of wheel halves properly. The tread pattern of the tire isn't correct because of displacement of halves.

Thanks fellas for your comments. I thought I had the wheel tabs lined up but must have slipped up just as I was pressing them tight. I will not be attempting to repair this as it wold involved taking the entire assembly apart and some of the pieces are quite delicate. I started the right gear assembly this morning and made double sure that the wheel halves were properly aligned. I also attached the actuator arm before assembling the opposing sides and it went much smoother. I take back all those terrible things that were thought and even those that passed across my lips.

Please continue with the constructive comments as I am still relearning the finer skills.

As for getting rid of some of the green, I put the fuselage halves together in a dry fir with the cockpit enclosed and it just looked "too" green.

Cheers,

Jeff

I see your point Jeff, but it was green !
Of course, there were also quite a number of cables, wires and other stuff cluttering the sides, running aft, which tended to mask some of the walls at least.
Once the canopy is on, it'll make a bit of a difference. Unfortunately, Tamiya didn't include the brown, padded leather back cushion for the pilot's seat, which helps to 'break things up' a bit.

Coming along nicely. If you'd like some detail pics, just holler. Got lots.

Thanks for the offer...standby, I may just do that.

I am at the point where I have to start drilling holes in the wings for assorted hanging parts. However I must await the arrival of the aftermarket drop tanks before I begin the plastic surgery so I have boxed up this project to await the tanks. Hopefully they will arrive soon, I ordered them almost two weeks ago.

Cheers,

Jeff

Tanks arrived today. I ordered them online from a store in Florida. When they arrived I found out through their packaging that they are made right here where I live, Guelph Ontario.

If only I had known.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, are the tanks from Mike Belcher's 'Belcher Bits'? If so, or even if from another source, could you give your opinion on them please?
I'm considering getting some for the old, but still good, Airfix kit, if I build it as one of the kites on the Shell House raid.

A little more progress tonight. The wings have been assembled. Holes have been drilled for the rockets and the drop tanks.

I taped the fuselage together and dry fit the wings that had the undercarriage dry fit as well. Things appear to fit quite nicely and a bare minimum of putty will be required.

Here is a peek.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

I noticed the fit issue with the starboard nacelle and have made the needed corrections and the gaps are now eliminated.

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff

That's looking good there Jeff.

Andy, let me check first on the tank size used for the Shell House raid. I'm not sure if they were 100 or 200 gallon. But, being a very long range op, I have a feeling they were the 200 gal, and if so, then yes please!
I do know that the release system was accidentally connected to the same circuit as the strike cameras, so, when the tanks were jettisoned after crossing the Danish coast of Jutland, the cameras activated, and captured some great footage of the countryside, at about twenty feet, looking aft !!

And now, after that bit of trivia, back to Jeff's thread !

Questions for those who are more knowledgeable than I meaning just about all of you.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I am doing this Mossie up as a 404 Squadron RCAF Maritime Command bird. I will be hanging rockets under the wings but my question is, when rocket armed would they have carried a bomb load as well? I am at the point where I need to construct the internal bomb bay bits and assemble the bombs if they would have been carried. If not then that saves me some time and effort and means I do not have to cut the bomb bay/cannon access doors. If the bombs were carried what colour would they have been?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jeff, are the tanks from Mike Belcher's 'Belcher Bits'? If so, or even if from another source, could you give your opinion on them please?
I'm considering getting some for the old, but still good, Airfix kit, if I build it as one of the kites on the Shell House raid.

They are from a company called Ultracast located here in Guelph Ontario Canada. I have trimmed them up and they are a pretty good fit but I suspect a small bit of filling will be needed. This is my first time buying resin aftermarket parts so I may not be the best judge of overall quality. The detail is pretty good with the filling cap and some small riveting.

Here is the website for Ultracast.

Ultracast high detail accessories

Cheers,

Jeff

I'll check on that for you Jeff, as it would depend on the operation, target and location. Sometimes there were alternate Flights - one with RPs, the other with bombs, but also, the bomb bay could hold an overload fuel tank. Off the top of my head, I think if RPs were carried, then no bomb load.
The bomb basic colour was Dark Green overall, but the tail cone, and fins, could also be black or dark grey.
I'll try to get an answer by tomorrow (Friday) evening, UK time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back