Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito Mk.VI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the info on the tanks Jeff. The UK stockist of Ultracast products is out of stock (I'd already looked there, as I was going to get some of their P-47 props too). Shipping from Canada, plus the cost of the parts, makes it an expensive exercise, but it looks like Andy might have come to the rescue with his spare tanks. If not, I'll make some.
Anyway, to answer your questions regarding RPs and bombs. The simple answer appears to be RPs only on shipping strikes, with AP and HE both being used very effectively, and more accurate, and effective, than bombs.
The load-out would depend on the range to target area - with wing tanks, restricted to two pylons per wing. Without tanks, four pylons per wing. There were, of course exceptions, when bombs might have been carried or, as previously mentioned, for specific requirements, some aircraft with bombs, and some with RPs.
When I've had some sleep (been awake for over 35 hours - darned arthritis pain!), I'll check the Squadron location according to dates, and the main operating area, which should hopefully give me a better idea of what was used, when, where etc.
Off the top of m y head, I'm guessing Banff Wing, so operating in Norwegian waters mostly.
Hope this helps.

T.... I'll check the Squadron location according to dates, and the main operating area, which should hopefully give me a better idea of what was used, when, where etc.
Off the top of m y head, I'm guessing Banff Wing, so operating in Norwegian waters mostly.
Hope this helps.

Banff Wing yes, but 404 converted from Beaufighters to Mossies very late in the war, April 1945 in fact. Some missions to Norway but also, by then, targets like Kiel.

I may be doing a 404 Sqdn Beau at some point.

Last edited:
Looking very nice, Jeff. This thread has me ready to pull my 1/48 mossie down after the Spit. Damn! I love the lines of the mossie.

Terry, sorry to hear about the pain issues. I do hope you are feeling better very soon!

Thanks mate. I sort of get used to it - it's the changeable weather at the moment causing it. Lack of sleep just compounds the issue, but at least I'm better off than many.
Once I get my current commission build finished (whenever that will be!), I'll be starting on the old Airfix FBVI in 1/48th scale - still a good kit even after 35 years. The Mossie is such a beautiful looking aircraft - I really miss seeing the BAe example flying in the UK.

Here is how she sat at the end of yesterday's time in the man cave.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Again, wings and undercarriage are dry fitted. She should be ready for paint soon. The props and rockets are done but will be the last bits hung along with the canopy. She needs a bit of putty here and there but the overall fit was fantastic.

Have a great day everyone.

Cheers,

Jeff

I will get back to this soon. Lots of outside work and weather lately that has been so nice I have spent time at a few airports on the weekends.

As an aside, my stash grew by one kit last weekend when I picked up a 1/48 Bf-110 G-4 kit by Revell.

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back