Thanksgiving

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you.

Heading up to Wisconsin to stay at a cabin up in the woods. Going to smoke a turkey and ham and spend a long weekend getaway. Can't wait to uncork a bottle of wine in front of the fireplace.

Thank you.

Heading up to Wisconsin to stay at a cabin up in the woods. Going to smoke a turkey and ham and spend a long weekend getaway. Can't wait to uncork a bottle of wine in front of the fireplace.

Sounds good to me Chris.
You back in the USA these days?

funny-pictures-cat-wants-turkey.jpg

Happy thanksgiving all. Nothing like celebrating what you have with a day of gluttony. ;) I am modifying the tradition this year as the one in the family that used to have it every year has decided to stop. It'll just be the 4 of us at home, so I am BBQing turkey burgers and Laura is making sweet potato fries. Not quite the same, but the cleanup is way easier!

Actually suprised that the day o' gluttony hasn't caught on down your way, Wayne.
Do you guys have anything like it?

Don't mean to cut in, but Christmas decoration sales start before the beginning of November. Paul, it's not a "catch on" thing here as it's going in to Summer here and 40C days, and it's truly an American celebration.

Having said that, Annie visited me when I lived in the SF bay area at the end of December one year and I BBQ'd a turkey for her. Two things, she had never had turkey, and never BBQ'd. Never had pumpkin pie, I make it from scratch, never had cranberry sauce, I make it from scratch, never had My apple pie, from scratch, and yams with Marshmallows??????

Turkeys here are big chicken size. No concept of a 24 pounder. "Do they Really have turkey like in the movies"???? Not much of a pie country either. Sweet potato, banana cream, rhubarb yum. There are a lot of the Traditional foods you cannot find here. Snows minced clams or any in a can? Nope. Bisquick, I have to get from American Foods on-line in Melbourne. I had to order a good waffle iron from a store for my imported Bisquick.

Christmas dinner at my in-laws is fresh cooked prawns. It's in the high 30's Christmas day here. We're on the coast. Up in the mountains, around Blackheath there is "Christmas in July" because it's cold, and sometimes snows. Annie and I were married on the fourth of July 2001. There was a lunar eclipse, and it snowed. We got the deluxe treatment!!!!

A sampling of Oz VS USA.

Sounds good to me Chris.
You back in the USA these days?

Yeap, I moved back to the US back in May. Took a job working on aircraft here. All the family (except the wife of course) are in Germany, so we will fly back over the pond regularly.

Smoker is warming up...

My menu, and just for me and the wife.

Deviled Eggs
Shrimp
Smoked Turkey
Smoked Ham
Mashed Potatoes and Giblet Gravy
Mac and Cheese
Green Bean Cassarole
Dinner Rolls
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie

Happy thanksgiving all. Nothing like celebrating what you have with a day of gluttony. ;) I am modifying the tradition this year as the one in the family that used to have it every year has decided to stop. It'll just be the 4 of us at home, so I am BBQing turkey burgers and Laura is making sweet potato fries. Not quite the same, but the cleanup is way easier!

Dang, that actually sounds like one of the best plans I've heard!

Happy Thanksgravy, y'all!

BaconTurkey.jpg

What a great Thanksgiving. The only thing missing was the friends and family. Food wise, it was the best Thanksgiving I have ever made.

If you have not brined and smoked a turkey (Brining is the key to it though), then you are missing out. So much flavor and so tender and juicy. Even the most inner white meat was flowing with juices.

Brined and Smoked Turkey > Deep Fried Turkey > Roasted Turkey

Absolutely amazing. We really enjoyed it up here in Wisconsin. Such beautiful land, even snowed a bit last night. Such a great place.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 96
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 118
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 113
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg