The Augsburg Eagle.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does it close enough, to fit this bird?

IMG_20140804_175203_zpszltv2o5r.jpg

IMG_20140730_153403_zpsbygfkk1m.jpg

That doesn't count - it's just a photo!
And why is that guy having a cr@p in the cockpit of that '109 ...................... ?

In defiance of the Geneva Convention...

( Joke copyright Spine Millington ) :D

It's funny the things that you forget sometimes, or because other things, for instance, I completely forgot that Henrich Bartels and his E-7....
Got to ask though, is this positively an E-7 and not an F?

IMG_20140807_203558_zpsagtmqpkj.jpg

Another future ace was Uffz Henrich Bartels seen here leaving his Bf 109E-7, 'Black 13' with the 8. Staffel insignia below the windshield...

IMG_20140807_203738_zpsx2kwhxkz.jpg

Here we see Lt. Hans-Joachim Bahr in the same machine a little earlier on the 17th June '42, after claiming a kill in it....

(Photos etc., from Luftwaffe Fighters and Fighter Bombers Over the Far North....)

Yep, that's an 'E'. The shape of the cowling and fasteners immediately in front of the windscreen, and the bulged fairing over the wing attachment bolts at the wing root are the identifying features, as well as the position of the fuel filler, and, of course, the earlier, 'E-3' type of windscreen (with external armour glass) and canopy. If I was pushed, I'd hazard that it's more likely to be a 'E-3', possibly even a 'E-1', rather than a '-7'.

You're absolutely right young man! See if anything is mentioned in the book, regarding a W.Nr...

Much obliged....have a large snifter what!

Just found this....

pasted-graphic-4_zps6jw7ij5r.jpg

The remains of Heinrich Bartel's uniform jacket with his EK1 (Iron Cross 1st Class) still attached found during his recovery in 1968...

salute_zps4360a7b8.png

True Master Wayne....
Even though I'd put my money on that it's an E-3 and not an E-1, just because it's mid '42, I know that it doesn't count for much at that time, as we know they did get a lot of second hand machines, from other Geschwaders....
If only....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back