The Best Fw-190 Variant...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If there were soooo many Anton's and Doras flying, how did the allied bombers manage to wipe out German oil production in the Spring of 1944? If the Luftwaffe' didn't get its ass kicked in Spring 1944, where were they on D-Day?

It doesn't make any sense.

Here are the production nubmers of Fw 190. Numbers in italics are estimated. All other data according to FW factory production book:

Well over 1400 were fully completed but very few saw service probably around 300.

Are these eneough sources for you or are you not going to believe it either because it goes against what you are saying here?

On D-Day there were 2 sorties flown but the rest of the pilots in the area believe it or not were on furlow back in Germany. I am surprised you had not read this before RG.

Since no P-80 or P-51H saw combat we can write them off as someones vivid imagination.

Every 262 was test flown before delivery to a combat unit. They were also flown to the combat units.

I did go through the link, which I knew of a long time ago. Do a search by 'unit' and see what turns up. Seems someone has a double standard.

I don't know why you keep mentioning WNr?

Very well said!

a couple of things..........

there were more than 2 sorites flown by the Luftwaffe on D-day, only 2 over the beach head.

second the oil production facilities were not smashed in the spring of 1944 but by winter of 44-45. My cousin was KIA on 26 November 44 in one of the crucial battles over the Misburg manufacturing plants which was going storng and had been rebuilt numerous times and even after this November incident though production was severly reduced after this particular raid

????

These figures basically agree with what I'm saying, only about 300 or so Me262's saw action in WWII.

=S=

Lunatic

You mean they sent all the thousands of pilots in the area of on Furlow right at the time they were expecting an invasion? Do you really believe that?

My point was that if they didn't suffer heavy losses in the Spring where were they in the late Spring and Summer? German oil production was hit hard in the late Spring/Early Summer 1944. Why weren't they able to defend their oil resources?

Actually the invasion came ealier than expected.

RG_Lunatic said:
You mean they sent all the thousands of pilots in the area of on Furlow right at the time they were expecting an invasion? Do you really believe that?

When did a JG, JG 26 in this case, have 1000s of pilots?

RG_Lunatic said:
These figures basically agree with what I'm saying, only about 300 or so Me262's saw action in WWII.

And no one here was contesting that. We were contesting that more then 300 were built. Nobody ever said that more then 300 saw service.

RG_Lunatic said:

Whoever said that there were thousands of pilots in the area?

And I never disputed that around 1450 were officially produced. I just don't think that a plane can really be counted as "produced" unless it is flyable. As I said before, about 2400 airframes were laid down, about 1450 were produced, about 800 were delivered (many with non-working engines), only about 300 saw combat service plus a number of prototypes flew as test planes (perhaps 50?).

[/quote]

Well, if you look at German fighter production from Nov. 1943 to Apr. 1944, there should have been well over 10,000 new fighter planes available. If the Luftwaffe' was not suffering heavy losses of planes and pilots during this period - where were they on D-Day?

Many were stuck on the ground because of fuel shortage, and even more pilots were on furlow.

You'll be surprised how much the LW was restricted by fuel shortage during the 44-45 period !

Fuel shortages would not have really started for aircraft bases until mid-summer or so. The strategic fuel resources were not specifically targeted in a big way until after D-Day. Tactical fuel resources were targeted, but again, why wasn't the Luftwaffe' defending those?

RG the German army was in fuel shortage already in 43 ! Why else do you think it was so important for the German army to get those oil resources in the Caucasus ?

Users who are viewing this thread