The best truck of WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I disagree, nothing in the United States could comapre to the Russian winter. It was so cold that all gas powered vehicles ground to a halt.

The point here is that the Opel Blitz did just as well as the GMC, and was by the Germans considered just as vital to their victories as the GMC C-47 Dakota was to the Allies.

I disagree, nothing in the United States could comapre to the Russian winter. It was so cold that all gas powered vehicles ground to a halt.

The point here is that the Opel Blitz did just as well as the GMC, and was by the Germans considered just as vital to their victories as the GMC C-47 Dakota was to the Allies.
Have you ever been north of 60 ? Alaska in the interior gets very very cold , NDakota Minnesota also get pretty nippy I've seen it as -40c without wind

Oki pbfoot, lets see you claim that the GMC will perform better than the Opel Blitz at -40 degree Celcius and beyond. It will amuse me for sure.

....NDakota Minnesota also get pretty nippy I've seen it as -40c without wind

"You Betchya ...."

:lol:

Soren, the upper midwest states and the southern parts of the central Canadian states have winters that are nearly identical to the winters in the western parts of Russia.

I still fail to see how the GMC handles such an inviroment better. I bet that if the GMC had worked under such conditions then it would've done miserably, just as every other gas powered vehicle would.

The Soviets got thousands of deuce and a halfs and used them in all kinds of weather. That truck was the best and no one else had anything close to it. By 1945, nearly two thirds of all Russian trucks, according to Wiki, were US made. Also, the Soviets manufactured only 92 locomotives during WW2 and the US supplied them with 1981 locomotives. I lived for ten years in Crested Butte, Colorado where the temps regularly get to 35 below and sometimes to 50 below. Gasoline engines work much better in those temps than diesel.

Hmm.. so that's why the Russians prefered Diesel trucks ? ;)

Nah, didnt think so.

I still fail to see how the GMC handles such an inviroment better. I bet that if the GMC had worked under such conditions then it would've done miserably, just as every other gas powered vehicle would.

The US auto makers back then made their vehicals to work in all the states of the union (and Canada too). We have a varied climate and it isnt economical to make cars and trucks that dont work in frigid tempertures that are prevailent in the plains states and the mountainous area's.

Germany didnt have this issue.

And Soren ..... they worked fine in these frigid temps. Just because its cold doesnt mean they will stop working.

Germany made trucks for use all over the world syscom, so you claim just doesn't hold any water.

The winter of 1941 on the Eastern front the temperature was measured at -55 degrees celcius at one point.

Oki pbfoot, lets see you claim that the GMC will perform better than the Opel Blitz at -40 degree Celcius and beyond. It will amuse me for sure.
God I've never seen any one know so little about so much .
My proof is in my age in the 50's and 60's and 70's for certain vehicles Euro autos were nice in the summer but park them in the winter so you could drive something reliable

The winter of 1941 on the Eastern front the temperature was measured at -55 degrees celcius at one point.

It does that regularly in Alaska as well. In the winter time the interior of Alaska regularly reaches below −60 °F (-52 °C). For crying out loud, there are parts of Alaska that average a low temp of 34 °F (1 °C) in July!

In 1971 temps were measured in the interior at −80 °F (-64 °C).

To say that parts of N. America are not as extreme as Russia is a very false statement.

God I've never seen any one know so little about so much .
My proof is in my age in the 50's and 60's and 70's for certain vehicles Euro autos were nice in the summer but park them in the winter so you could drive something reliable

Right back at ya.

Now lets see the proof that the GMC does better at freezing temperatures than the Opel Blitz. I'd certainly like to see it.

Now lets see the proof that the GMC does better at freezing temperatures than the Opel Blitz. I'd certainly like to see it.

Is there actual 100% proof for vice versa? Have there been tests that will prove either one?

If not then any and all of this is nothing more than opinion or speculation. We know what your opinion of opinions is, based off of your post in the Best Jet of the 50s thread.

It does that regularly in Alaska as well. In the winter time the interior of Alaska regularly reaches below −60 °F (-52 °C). For crying out loud, there are parts of Alaska that average a low temp of 34 °F (1 °C) in July!

In 1971 temps were measured in the interior at −80 °F (-64 °C).

To say that parts of N. America are not as extreme as Russia is a very false statement.

Adler, I will concede that Alaska perhaps has a roughly similar winter climate, but that's not the point, the point is that the GMC wasn't anymore reliable than the Opel Blitz in such an environment. Why would it be ? Was it a Diesel ? No.

Is there actual 100% proof for vice versa? Have there been tests that will prove either one?

If not then any and all of this is nothing more than opinion or speculation. We know what your opinion of opinions is, based off of your post in the Best Jet of the 50s thread.

Is there any proof that the GMC is more reliable Adler ? No. So why then start bashing at me ? I'm not the one claiming one truck to be better than the other, remember!

If you have an axe to grind with me then tell me.

Adler, I will concede that Alaska perhaps has a roughly similar winter climate, but that's not the point, the point is that the GMC wasn't anymore reliable than the Opel Blitz in such an environment. Why would it be ? Was it a Diesel ? No.

Where is your documented proof that the GMC was unreliable in that kind of environment. I don't care if it is a diesel or not. If it were unreliable then GMC would have made it a diesel.

Without documented proof that compares the two vehicles, you are speculating and giving opinion. Am I right or wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back