The creepy crawly thread.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice shot Aaron.

----------------

This lil one built a web in front of my house.

Attachments

• Little Miss Hubbard.jpg
    Little Miss Hubbard.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 132
Temp has been dropping mid-60s in the morning. finally got one of the suckers to hold still for me to snap a pic: a five-line blue-tailed skink

Attachments

• Queen W 036.jpg
    Queen W 036.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Queen W 037.jpg
    Queen W 037.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 132
Been trying all summer but they are FAST. There is a nest of them under the deck stairway. little ones about an inch long are all over the lower concrete patio. This one was out in the AM catching some rays

Great shots, both!!! I'd encourage them...both of em eat bugs. I love seeing fat, happy geckos, skinks, garter snakes, and spiders around my house. Dunno if they're related, but we used to call those huge spiders with the zig-zaggy web "banana spiders" when my family was stationed on Guam. Dunno where the name came from, that's just what the kids would call em.

ETA: VB, try getting a spray bottle with clean water (rinse the bottle to make sure there's no soap or cleaning stuff in it), and gently mist the web. Try spritzing upwind of the web, and let the finer particles drift into the web. Play around with angles, you can get some phenomenal shots with the sun reflecting off the water droplets captured in the web, and if the spider is cooperative, you'll have beauty and the beast. 'Course, a fat grasshopper or moth as payment for the unexpected shower wouldn't be amiss....:lol:

Good advice, RA...

A suggestion: determine which way the breeze is coming from and "fog" the mist into the web...otherwise, droplets hitting the spider may make it tense up or move out of the web for cover.

Beginning to re-think this move south. Noticed a lot of movement in the grass of the back yard. Closer inspection revealed a whole herd of these hairy critters (7 or 8, I headed indoors) neighbors responded to my emptying of several clips from my M-16 into the yard!! "Oh, their just tarantulas, it's mating season, wait a few more weeks the yard will be full of them." I'm not phobic about spiders but its been a long time since a herd of spiders, 5 - 6 inches long, crawled across my patio.

The Arkansas Chocolate Tarantula

Attachments

• Ark Choc Tran.jpg
    Ark Choc Tran.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back