The creepy crawly thread.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aaron, don't be fooled by the pic, Widows are about 1.5 in (38 mm) long, 0.25 in (6.4 mm) in diameter so they are not that big. While the venom is 3X to 4X stronger than a rattler the spider does not have much venom so while a nasty neuro-toxin not deadly unless there is an alergic reaction.
Eric fantastic pictures very very nice. Usually the Widows are in dark enclosed areas

I found this under trestle 24 on the Creeper Trail this morning. Around here they are known as earwigs. Don't ask me how they got that name, I have no clue. This one is the largest that I've seen so far. They're usually about 3/8 of an inch long, this one's almost 1 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_7431 cropped.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 85
Aaron, had tons of them back in Joliet, my Tiki torch cups were full of them. To answer your question, earwig, is derived from the Old English ēare, which means "ear", and wicga, which means "insect". There is an old wives' tale that earwigs burrowed into the brains of humans through the ear and laid their eggs there. Not true but earwigs love to hide in warm humid crevices and possibly at some point did crawl into the human ear canal. The pincers do work and are used in defense and to capture prey. They can also fly but seldom do so.
The curved abdominal pincers of your earwig mean it is a male

Awesome shots of that black widow, Eric!
That shot of the predator on my Scion's roof was done with a 50-200 taken from a distance...sometimes those shots are better than one taken with a MACRO lens

That sure is a large earwig, Aaron!

Been looking for this thread for a while. Took a bit of time without the search fuction. Three week ago the gdaughters came for a visit. We spent an evening sitting on the deck and this "little" (about 8in(18cm)) critter started walking up Sophie's arm. This is him on back of the deck chair and later on the railing. These Walking Sticks are a real nuisence here, drawn by all the oak trees. They can eat all the leaves from a tree in a day

Attachments

• IMG_0295R.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0296R.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0297R.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 106
I agree with Dave but also understand the nuisance also. Very good shot of to Mike! I shot this a couple of weeks ago now. She was trying to get warm since it was 56 degrees F.

Attachments

• IMG_7760_edited-1 resized 25 legal.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7747 resized 25 legal.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7756 resized 25 legal.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Aaron, that's a swallow-tail I think. Great pics as always
Looks exactly like the Tiger Swallowtails we have out here and certainly a great capture, Aaron!

Here's a shot of a Tiger Swallowtail taken at nearby Lewiston Lake back in 2007

I just noticed both Aaron's and my Swallowtail look almost identical, tattered wings and all!

Users who are viewing this thread