The creepy crawly thread.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a couple from last July

A Damselfly
IMGP4612[720x477].jpg

And a "Hoverfly" which is actually a voracious predator (of small things) and is roughly 10mm in length
IMGP4607[720x477].jpg

Couple of great shots between you Dave and Mike.

You may recall my posting some of these a few weeks ago. It's the same spider in the same web but looking about ready to hatch a couple million little ones. I have a lavender hedge just below her which is now in need of a trim, but this has to wait until after the hatching. For size, she is about 6cm legs extended with a body of about 2cm. You can also see that she has a huge web extending from out front door veranda across the yard to the flowering cherry and crab apple trees.

View attachment 229746

View attachment 229745

View attachment 229747

View attachment 229748

Hi Vic

This looks like a female golden orb weaver to me. The golden orb weavers are one of the largest spiders found in Australia.
Their webs with diameters of over 1 meter can be found hanging off sign posts, in or between trees.
Female spiders can measure up to 45 mm while the smaller males measure only 6 mm. The male is often found in or around the web of the female.
Beside the male and the female boarders resides in the web. They are called quicksilver, dewdrop or droplet spider (Argyrodes antipodianus)
because their silvery body shines like drops of water in the sun.

If you look closely at the web you can notice that the snares have a golden color. The web is extremely strong. So strong that even small birds stick in the net.

Took a four mile hike with some friends and got these today. Had a lot fun.

Attachments

• IMG_8634_edited-1 cropped legal.jpg
    IMG_8634_edited-1 cropped legal.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8636 cropped legal.jpg
    IMG_8636 cropped legal.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8641 cropped legal.jpg
    IMG_8641 cropped legal.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8655 resized 25 legal.jpg
    IMG_8655 resized 25 legal.jpg