The Incredible B-58

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 23, 2006
Southern California
I have always been impressed by the B-58, mainly for the looks. I decided to take look and see how this amazing, and dangerous, aircraft would stack up against the contemporary interceptor aircraft. So, here are some stats

Wing Loading (wt/area)
B-58 44
F-4 78
F-106 52
F-104 105
Lightning 88
Mig-21 63

Thrust to Weight (lbsThrust/wt)
B-58 .78
F-4 .86
F-106 .71
F-104 .75
Lightning .78
Mig-21 .79

Max Speed (Mach)
B-58 2.1
F-4 2.23
F-106 2.3
F-104 2.2
Lightning 2.27 (after 1965)
Mig-21 2.05

Service Ceiling (kft)
B-58 63.4
F-4 60
F-106 57
F-104 50k
Lightning 60+ (after 1965)
Mig-21 62.3

So it is apparent that the B-58 had very similar performance with contemporary interceptors, which is an obvious advantage since the interceptors must climb to intercept. Once there, the B-58 typically had an altitude performance capability advantage, particularly over the Mig, which was slower. Now throw in the fact that the missiles in that era were particularly inefficient, and that the B-58 had a 20mm Vulcan canon for a tail stinger, and you have a potent weapons system….if it all worked. It was notoriously unreliable due to advanced and immature avionics. Also, due to the uniqueness of the delta wing, it was difficult to fly and had some inherent dangers, such as supersonic asymmetrical thrust with engine failure and instant obliteration. Apparently crews got used to it and appreciated its capabilities. I worked with a B-58 pilot and I think he was proud of it and spoke of the dangerous nature, but not in a hostile manner. The demise came with the improved ground-to-air missiles.

Still, it was a magnificent and beautiful aircraft.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

I would have wet myself if I seen them

Don't know about that, but I did wet myself one time when the Blue Angels were doing an airshow. They were flying right over the deck supersonic...I had had a coke in the car...The sonic boom...Well, you get the picture. I must have been all of 4 or 5.

Featured in the 1964 movie "Fail Safe" as the "Vindicator".

Think it was her only Hollywood role.

TO

B-58 Hustler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Later versions gave each crew member a novel ejection capsule that made it possible to eject at an altitude of 70,000 ft (21,000 m) at speeds up to Mach 2 (1,320 mph/2,450 km/h). Unlike standard ejection seats of the period, a protective clamshell would enclose the seat and the control stick with an attached oxygen bottle. In an unusual test program, live bears and chimpanzees were successfully used to test the ejection system

PROJECT ROSE PETAL

A joint program involving the Hustler and an RAF Comet. The Hustler's job was to make high speed passes close to the Comet to help calibrate a British missile tracking system...

The big guy at front far left is Lt. Col. Fitzhugh "Fitz" Fulton...

He went on to fly the XB-70 and the B-52/X-15 and Boeing 747/Shuttle combinations.

"WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD"

Last edited:
Heard the confined area for crew drove them batty except for the pilot.

I remember Phantoms and ealier Century series fighters at airshows as a kid, close, low and fast doing a sound crack for the audience. Pilots would be grounded these days for being that close, low, and fast near spectators.

At the time, louder was better :p

ahh the old days are missed :(

Heard the confined area for crew drove them batty except for the pilot.

I remember Phantoms and ealier Century series fighters at airshows as a kid, close, low and fast doing a sound crack for the audience. Pilots would be grounded these days for being that close, low, and fast near spectators.

At the time, louder was better :p

ahh the old days are missed :(

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back