Those little pictures...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I promise you that you will learn and retain more from building a single model than reading a single book. Don't knock it.

I promise you that you will learn and retain more from building a single model than reading a single book. Don't knock it.
It is a very expensive hobby ,at least to much for my blood if it comes to learning about aviation its much cheaper finding and reading books about it , the last kit I built was a tamiya or hasegwa 1/48 Sabre in 434 squadron colours and it was a very pricey venture , by the time I bought the correct decals and proper shades it came to a fair packet and I didn't learn squat . I much prefer my collection of pre 39 die cast 1/48 fighters . P26 , F3f Hawker Fury etc they look better and are not quite as delicate

I dunno Neil. You should see some of the prices for some good books lately. I can only dream about owning the JG 300 volumes.
I check out Goodwill and other stores like it and usually walk out with some cheap book usually snag 1 a week , if I want something specific its Ebay , it took me 2 years to get the last book I wanted for reasonable price. Amazon wanted 180 for Spitfire The Canadians Vol 1 , I got it on Ebay for 23. I'll toss in a couple of die cadt aircraft I've purchased for under $50 including shipping and guess what they appreciate as opposed to depreciate with plastic , for Xmas I was able to get a 1/48th Stearman in the same markings as the one the old boy used to work on , it was accurate enough for him as he noted that it even had the correct steel prop. I can't make them to the same standards in plastic for the same price

Attachments

• P1021489 (1200x976).jpg
    P1021489 (1200x976).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 143
  • P1021491 (1200x809).jpg
    P1021491 (1200x809).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 144
I know what you mean! I usually get my books used from Amazon.com - much cheaper and sometimes I have to wait for the right price. I think its better than Ebay - no auction.

I check out Goodwill and other stores like it and usually walk out with some cheap book usually snag 1 a week , if I want something specific its Ebay , it took me 2 years to get the last book I wanted for reasonable price. Amazon wanted 180 for Spitfire The Canadians Vol 1 , I got it on Ebay for 23. I'll toss in a couple of die cadt aircraft I've purchased for under $50 including shipping and guess what they appreciate as opposed to depreciate with plastic , for Xmas I was able to get a 1/48th Stearman in the same markings as the one the old boy used to work on , it was accurate enough for him as he noted that it even had the correct steel prop. I can't make them to the same standards in plastic for the same price

Yeah but Good Lord Almighty, those are models built for you!! And bloody well nice I might say. Dang!

I was only referring to the hands on experience. You don't have to paint, sand and decal them to have an whimsical experience with the subject of your modelling. I remember my first models ever built with my Dad at about age 4 or 5. To this day I recall the fascination of the shapes, forms and functions of various parts. You can't get this visceral appreciation of the planes from a book. Photos do not hold up to the physical experience (not necessarily the construction, but I can argue that side too). I defy anybody that claims otherwise.

Last edited:
And I will add: -
Many people here are flyers, or have been, and many try to reproduce models, either for their families (some of whom are veterans, many of whom have passed away), or perhaps as mementoes, or just because they enjoy re-creating a certain part of history in miniature.
Some are new to the 'aviation scene', some are 'old lags', some are experienced modellers, and some are brand-new to modelling.
The Group Builds have realised a h*ll of a lot of research, sharing knowledge, sometimes unknown facts, and bringing to attention some fascinating facts.
The 'P*ss*ng Contest' you mention has absolutely nothing to do with ego, or any other 'look at me aren't I good' scenario.
Rather, these little icons are a way of recognising the efforts of those who take part, either in the sharing of knowledge and experience, producing a 'monument' to an individual, or, in simple terms, just trying their best to take part and hopefully improve their skills.
The combined experience and knowledge of the members of this forum ensure that all those who require and ask for help, given that it is not for personal or financial gain, will get that help - freely and with no 'strings attached'.
If you have a problem with such people gaining a tiny little picture under their posts, may I suggest that you sit back, refl ect and scan this forum more closely - then perhaps you can criticise.
I highly agree :salute:

Its a good job there isn't an icon for the 1 to 1 builds.....we'd never have enough room at home to build the complete thing so we'd never qualify :)

I thought I was looking at pictures form work for a second before I saw the water heater!
Gary, it's good to know that there are people out there that are crazier than us! :lol:

Last edited:
What's this crazy thing? I have a Certificate to prove I'm not crazy. Oh! Hello nurse, time for my meds is it...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back