Those little pictures...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cool! Anyway, what do these group builds consist of? Do I go meet up with other people and build something with them? Is there an age limit?
Anyone who wishes to participate simply starts a thread and starts to build to suit the theme of the GB, posting progress shots as you go, it don't matter if you are any good or not, participation is the name of the game first and foremost.
If you need help or advice just ask or have something to share, then share it.... we are all at each others disposal to help or learn something new, it is a friendly atmosphere with no pressure.
We do have a judging process at the end of each build for those who finish simply as a formality to close out each Group build.

So please join in!

I hyave a question for the GB organisers. Can you get the sig badges for a particular build, after that build has ended? What I mean is you build the model as per the GB guidelines, but the time has ended???

And I will add: -
Many people here are flyers, or have been, and many try to reproduce models, either for their families (some of whom are veterans, many of whom have passed away), or perhaps as mementoes, or just because they enjoy re-creating a certain part of history in miniature.
Some are new to the 'aviation scene', some are 'old lags', some are experienced modellers, and some are brand-new to modelling.
The Group Builds have realised a h*ll of a lot of research, sharing knowledge, sometimes unknown facts, and bringing to attention some fascinating facts.
The 'P*ss*ng Contest' you mention has absolutely nothing to do with ego, or any other 'look at me aren't I good' scenario.
Rather, these little icons are a way of recognising the efforts of those who take part, either in the sharing of knowledge and experience, producing a 'monument' to an individual, or, in simple terms, just trying their best to take part and hopefully improve their skills.
The combined experience and knowledge of the members of this forum ensure that all those who require and ask for help, given that it is not for personal or financial gain, will get that help - freely and with no 'strings attached'.
If you have a problem with such people gaining a tiny little picture under their posts, may I suggest that you sit back, reflect and scan this forum more closely - then perhaps you can criticise.
Well said Terry

Parsifal, like Wurger said, you can still get the badge when the plane is almost done.

Oskar, get a model, start building and post some pictures or questions. Its a great time and when you have a problem, post a question and believe me it will be answered. Check the Group Build section of the Modelling area for GBs that are coming up or in progress. I'm sure there will be something that will include a Spit. And nobody who is a part of the GBs aren't 'stuck up' that they can't give a good answer. Everyone is very helpful. I only have one badge although it should be two but I didn't complete the Pacific entry.

Sorry you feel that way Deskpilot but it really isn't as you perceive. We're all butter fingers one model and Mr. Shepherds the next.

If I attempted to do a build you guys would have to come up with a "LOSER" banner...:)

So do you think it is easy to get a such banner? Requirements are at the highest level.

Last edited:
Wurger if that was a response to my post, i meant that my build would be so bad I wouldnt deserve any of the warbird little pics, so a loser banner would have to be invented.:)

One of these days I'll give it shot, when I see the talent some of these guys have on this board it can be a bit intimidating, Funny when I was a kid I used to build them all the time,now it seems I don't have the time or the patience anymore.

Sometimes it is really funny to go back to the hobby. But you are right , the lack of the time and /or the patience can be the reason for giving it up.

One of these days I'll give it shot, when I see the talent some of these guys have on this board it can be a bit intimidating, Funny when I was a kid I used to build them all the time,now it seems I don't have the time or the patience anymore.
I've been building pretty constantly since I was a kid, but only started to get good at it when I was in my early 30s and subscribed to a modeling magazine and started learning the tricks. This forum is 10 times better than any modeling magazine because you get feedback from the other members. If you don't know how to do something just give a yell and you'll get bombed with help.
GIVE IT A TRY!

And I will add: -
Many people here are flyers, or have been, and many try to reproduce models, either for their families (some of whom are veterans, many of whom have passed away), or perhaps as mementoes, or just because they enjoy re-creating a certain part of history in miniature.
Some are new to the 'aviation scene', some are 'old lags', some are experienced modellers, and some are brand-new to modelling.
The Group Builds have realised a h*ll of a lot of research, sharing knowledge, sometimes unknown facts, and bringing to attention some fascinating facts.
The 'P*ss*ng Contest' you mention has absolutely nothing to do with ego, or any other 'look at me aren't I good' scenario.
Rather, these little icons are a way of recognising the efforts of those who take part, either in the sharing of knowledge and experience, producing a 'monument' to an individual, or, in simple terms, just trying their best to take part and hopefully improve their skills.
The combined experience and knowledge of the members of this forum ensure that all those who require and ask for help, given that it is not for personal or financial gain, will get that help - freely and with no 'strings attached'.
If you have a problem with such people gaining a tiny little picture under their posts, may I suggest that you sit back, reflect and scan this forum more closely - then perhaps you can criticise.

Each to his own Airfames, each to his own. I will switch them off as they hold no interest for me. It's not that I am against modellers, indeed I deeply admire some of the more detailed models, especially RC that cost thousands of dollars/pounds, not that I'm into that either, but wouldn't you guys prefer to be reworking actual air-craft? Maybe some of you do, I don't know, but there must be more value to using your time and efforts than producing, or rather assembling, pieces of plastic.
I'm not having a go really, just trying to understand the need for ........................icons?

I don't care about the icons to each their own but I'd much rather sweep around the real thing , especially since we have folks that live so close to the venues with real aircraft , I can appreciate that some of us have ailments that prevent doing that but so many young dudes are missing out on the real thing

Each to his own Airfames, each to his own. I will switch them off as they hold no interest for me. It's not that I am against modellers, indeed I deeply admire some of the more detailed models, especially RC that cost thousands of dollars/pounds, not that I'm into that either, but wouldn't you guys prefer to be reworking actual air-craft? Maybe some of you do, I don't know, but there must be more value to using your time and efforts than producing, or rather assembling, pieces of plastic.
I'm not having a go really, just trying to understand the need for ........................icons?

Well it does not take a fricken genious to figure this one out. The cost of a model kit versus the cost of an authentic WW2 Aircraft that could be restored. I mean seriously?

I totally agree David. If I had a few million lying around collecting dust, and a lot of spare time, I know I'd be restoring an old antique with wings. Most of us are working just to put food on the table, a roof over our heads, and hopefully enough saved so were not on the street when we're too old to work anymore, not to mention raising kids and everything that goes with that. It doesn't take me months to complete a kit because I spend hundreds of hours on it. I spend a few stolen minutes every few days, if I can manage it. If some people that have the means to be able to play with the real thing don't care for what we do that's fine, but they don't need to try to make us feel like Sh!t because we don't or can't, and express our love of aircraft by making scale models of them. It's just not called for! As a child we were taught that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. I think that needs to be learned here. This is about as pissed as I've been since I've joined this forum, so I felt I had to say something, and now that I have, I won't comment about it here again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back