Those little pictures...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I promise you that you will learn and retain more from building a single model than reading a single book. Don't knock it.
It is a very expensive hobby ,at least to much for my blood if it comes to learning about aviation its much cheaper finding and reading books about it , the last kit I built was a tamiya or hasegwa 1/48 Sabre in 434 squadron colours and it was a very pricey venture , by the time I bought the correct decals and proper shades it came to a fair packet and I didn't learn squat . I much prefer my collection of pre 39 die cast 1/48 fighters . P26 , F3f Hawker Fury etc they look better and are not quite as delicate

I dunno Neil. You should see some of the prices for some good books lately. I can only dream about owning the JG 300 volumes.

I dunno Neil. You should see some of the prices for some good books lately. I can only dream about owning the JG 300 volumes.
I check out Goodwill and other stores like it and usually walk out with some cheap book usually snag 1 a week , if I want something specific its Ebay , it took me 2 years to get the last book I wanted for reasonable price. Amazon wanted 180 for Spitfire The Canadians Vol 1 , I got it on Ebay for 23. I'll toss in a couple of die cadt aircraft I've purchased for under $50 including shipping and guess what they appreciate as opposed to depreciate with plastic , for Xmas I was able to get a 1/48th Stearman in the same markings as the one the old boy used to work on , it was accurate enough for him as he noted that it even had the correct steel prop. I can't make them to the same standards in plastic for the same price

Attachments

• P1021489 (1200x976).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 150
  • P1021491 (1200x809).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 151
I know what you mean! I usually get my books used from Amazon.com - much cheaper and sometimes I have to wait for the right price. I think its better than Ebay - no auction.

Yeah but Good Lord Almighty, those are models built for you!! And bloody well nice I might say. Dang!

I was only referring to the hands on experience. You don't have to paint, sand and decal them to have an whimsical experience with the subject of your modelling. I remember my first models ever built with my Dad at about age 4 or 5. To this day I recall the fascination of the shapes, forms and functions of various parts. You can't get this visceral appreciation of the planes from a book. Photos do not hold up to the physical experience (not necessarily the construction, but I can argue that side too). I defy anybody that claims otherwise.

Last edited:
I highly agree

Its a good job there isn't an icon for the 1 to 1 builds.....we'd never have enough room at home to build the complete thing so we'd never qualify

I thought I was looking at pictures form work for a second before I saw the water heater!
Gary, it's good to know that there are people out there that are crazier than us!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread