Tips.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Procrastintor

Senior Airman
Jul 13, 2012
LA
I just ordered my first model, it's a P-40, and would love some pointers as to painting it and building it properly. (wouldn't want to break it!)

Just about the only thing I can suggest Pro is if you need a question answered, check out the threads in the forum. I know that in the Modelling section there are tons of threads that handle all aspects of building a model. Check out some of the Group Builds as there are several step-by-step builds of P-40s. Painting? Tons of stuff including some pdf files from Airframes that are manuals on how to paint models (download them anyhow - they are the best around and free!) What to paint? Tons of threads about the P-40 with color pics and profiles. Its all here - just troll around and you will find what ya need or....just ask!

Good luck!

True.... nothing more to add.

Also, if I paint it well, could I enter it into the group build?

Your participation in any of the GB projects doesn't depend on the painting quality. If you want to enter the current one .. there is no problem. Just create your thread with the info required and go for assembling. That's all. But remember about the main subject that the GB has been started for.

And chips!
And, before deciding to enter a GB, please read the Rules, and the Photo Requirements, posted in the Group Builds general section.

Basic tips: READ INSTRUCTIONS then READ INSTRUCTIONS. Make sure you know what goes where and then DRY FIT the parts. Decide upon glues, plastic solvents, and/or cyanoacrylics. I use just two depending on part, i.e. solvents do not work well on large parts. I don't like glues. Decide upon the type of paint: enamels, lacquers, or acrylics. Mixing paint types is not a good thing. I like acrylics because of the water/isopropyl alcohol clean up. Decide on brush or airbrush. I use both. Brush on small parts airbrush on larger pieces. Paint small parts before assemply. Large parts like wings, fuselage, stabilizers, etc. are also easier to paint before assembly IF THEY FIT WELL. If parts do not fil well join as best you can, then fill with putty, sand, and paint. When all painting is done and DRY spray entire model with Future. LET DRY (2 days at least) Apply decals using Microsol and/or -set. When dry another coat of Future 50/50 and Flat clear (mlitary models)

The model hasn't been delivered yet (shipped on the 25th), but I have been reading up on the forum and have found lots of helpful things. Quick question though, are there any Group Builds that are currently going that a P-40 is eligible for? And if so when do they end?

Nope.. the current GB is for Heavy Hitters ( part two ) that is for assault aircraft basicly but not for figthers. Unless it was the fighter-bomber type.

But you may start it in the Start to Finish Builds section. I'm sure there can be found the help you need during assembling and painting.. etc...

Yes I agree. It is more relevant GB for the P-40. There were many nice nose arts on P-40s painted.

If you click on the "Christmas" header and then go down to "Group builds" there is a list of all the group builds by number and name. If you go into one you might think includes a P-40, then when you find one go into the thread that includes the build and you can follow the steps stages of the build for an idea of how the entrant did his.

You will be able to find the list of builds and their start and finish dates in there somewhere.

Good to have you join in.

Users who are viewing this thread