US Mens Soccer Shocker

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amsel

Tech Sergeant
Jul 15, 2008
Texas
BLOEMFONTEIN, South Africa – The world will surely take notice of this. The U.S. soccer team is in the final of the Confederations Cup, beating mighty Spain 2-0. Even more stunning, the Americans were on the verge of elimination and ready to head home last weekend before a reversal of fortune. On Wednesday, goals by Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey led to an upset of the planet's top-ranked team.

Call it a miracle on grass — maybe not the World Cup, but still an American soccer echo of the U.S. hockey team's upset of the Soviet Union at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics.

By winning, the maligned United States advanced to its first men's FIFA final since starting play in 1916.

Altidore scored in the 27th minute and Dempsey added a goal in the 74th as the Americans became the first team to defeat Spain since Romania in November 2006.

"It goes to show what hard work and commitment to each other can bring," said U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard, who made eight saves as he frustrated David Villa and Fernando Torres. "Sometimes football is a funny thing."

Now the U.S. will play defending champion Brazil or host South Africa in Sunday's final, which concludes a two-week tournament designed to prepare the organizers of next year's World Cup.

capt.photo_1245878849042-1-0.jpg

Yeah, that one was a shocker. Playing Italy and Brazil in a row makes you wonder if somebody didn't like them. Egypt was a rebound but I had no faith that they were going to take Spain like they did and stay in it.

Who woulda thunk it?

It's an impressive result
Spain are the current European champions and you have to knock some footballing giants down to achieve that. Brazil is a daunting task for any team in the world but it sounds like the US have earned their shot, good luck with it, I'll be rooting for you.

Please gents. If you watch the game, it was total domination by Spain with a couple of shots by US that went in. A shocker yes. But telling of superior talent on the US team... not by any stretch. Now what really would have been a shocker is US and Republic of South Africa in the final. That would have been quite the match and more even.

Unless there is some hiccup in soccer reality (and that does sometimes happen), US is gonna get crushed by Brazil. Just like they did with Spain... just the score didn't reflect reality. The end score in futbol is often VERY deceiving.

Go US!!!!!!

Please gents. If you watch the game, it was total domination by Spain with a couple of shots by US that went in. A shocker yes. But telling of superior talent on the US team... not by any stretch. Now what really would have been a shocker is US and Republic of South Africa in the final. That would have been quite the match and more even.

Unless there is some hiccup in soccer reality (and that does sometimes happen), US is gonna get crushed by Brazil. Just like they did with Spain... just the score didn't reflect reality. The end score in futbol is often VERY deceiving.

Go US!!!!!!

He who scores the most points wins the game.

If Spain was the superior team, why didnt they win?

Soccer is not a single game sport... just like baseball. Just because Seattle Mariners beat Los Angeles 1 game does not demonstrate a better team. Surely you are not going to argue otherwise, right? Did you watch the US-Spain game? It was total domination by Spain. Spain owned the field and most of the game was in the US 1/3 defensive end. Damn lucky the US was. Damn lucky.

Soccer is not a single game sport... just like baseball. Just because Seattle Mariners beat Los Angeles 1 game does not demonstrate a better team. Surely you are not going to argue otherwise, right? Did you watch the US-Spain game? It was total domination by Spain. Spain owned the field and most of the game was in the US 1/3 defensive end. Damn lucky the US was. Damn lucky.

The US scored more goals when it counted.

US won, fair and square.

All hail the victors! 8)

I am a huge fan of soccer and watched the entire game, Spain dominated but that does not mean that U.S. did not play well, they played better than ever and were rewarded just as they should be. All though the second goal was all luck ;) U.S. was not lucky at all, they played marvelously.

There's

training
discipline
team ethic
talent and ability and
commitment

teams have gone under displaying all of those qualities simply because on the day, luck wasn't on their side; luck can win you a match when you've spent most of the match taking a beating. If you were on the side administering the beating, it's an ugly way to lose.

Those of you who remember World Cup 94 (USA) will recall the US team giving Brazil a real run for their money in the group stages, losing 1-0 in the end; if Alexei Lallas had gotten on the end of a low cross across the goalmouth, it might have been a different game.

I'd like to hear that the US had really taken the fight into Brazil's half and win or lose, had let them know they'd been in a fight - they've done it before.

It is really great to watch soccer start to take hold here in the states. I wish the American media would give more coverage to the USMNT and the MLS. I don't see how they can ignore the sport much longer, with the growing popularity of MLS. The skills here are growing fast as well as the fan base. I am hoping that the next year or two will at least double the fanbase here and hopefully continue to grow our talents.

While I am happy the US won, I would not be too excited about it.

The Confederations Cup is a meaningless cup. It is nothing like the World Cup or the European Cup. It is used by the hosts of the next World Cup (in this case South Africa for the 2010 World Cup), to check out and make sure they are ready to host the big one the next year. In Germany it is known as the "Korn Feld Cup" (Cornfield Cup).

"Considered a dress-rehearsal for the World Cup it precedes, it uses around half of the stadiums intended for use at the following year's World Cup and gives the host nation, who qualifies for that tournament automatically, experience at a high level of competition during two years of friendlies. At the same time, participation was made optional for the South American and European champions."

Like I said, I am happy that the US has made it to a final of a game, but it is a meaningless cup. Don't get to excited over it...

Spain is overall a better team than the US, on 10 matches it probably win 7.

BUT... the beauty of soccer is that if you play well, concentrated and conscious of your limits you never start defeated. It's probably the only professional sport where a less-skilled team can win, perhaps because since you have to play with your feet the level of accuracy is much lower than in other sports.
It is a team sport where the instant masterpiece of a player can turn the tide of the match.

US played according to the ancient king of tactics : 'first, don't get hit'
They played a perfect defensive game against a team who has more experience and more talented players.
They were able to contain the Spanish 'stars' and hit back when they had the opportunity, and then defend the advantage with rationality and concentration. Sometimes it resembled the 'double-lock' tactic of Italian vintage memory, but when you are hard-pressed you must apply what is more effective to avoid damage.

No luck involved, a fully deserved victory and hopefully the beginning of another great team to join the soccer club
A couple of great naturally-talented players on top of this team, and US could really start to have high ambitions even in the world championship, and I bet that in the US there are talents that can match the praised Europeans and south-American ones: it's just a matter to attract them to soccer instead of other sports.

It is not really meaningless for the USMNT. It is actually the first FIFA final in our history. But I know what your saying about the importance of the cup. It is still fun to follow.

The Confederations Cup is a meaningless cup. It is nothing like the World Cup or the European Cup.

Like I said, I am happy that the US has made it to a final of a game, but it is a meaningless cup. Don't get to excited over it...
Meaningless for whom?
Large subscriber bases of pay-per-view spectators? I daresay.
Try telling that to a sportsman, esp a US soccer player right now, they've just earned their country a place in a final. For them, there's no such thing as a meaningless cup, there'll be no less focus, preparation, sweat and commitment than there would have been for any other final.
At the very least, don't expect Brazil to treat it like a meaningless cup because I just know they won't.

This however is an example of why I like Football so much. Anybody can win. Spain is a much better overall. The talent and skills of the team are way ahead of the US team, but the team that puts the most goals in the net is going to win.

I just can't wait till the US finally makes it to the final of the World Cup against Germany. Then no matter who wins, I will be happy.

Meaningless for whom?
Large subscriber bases of pay-per-view spectators? I daresay.
Try telling that to a sportsman, esp a US soccer player right now, they've just earned their country a place in a final. For them, there's no such thing as a meaningless cup, there'll be no less focus, preparation, sweat and commitment than there would have been for any other final.
At the very least, don't expect Brazil to treat it like a meaningless cup because I just know they won't.

No it is a meaningless cup. Look at is a "Friendlies Cup" if you will. The European and South American winners can even choose not to participate.

Fact is, it is a cup used to prepare the host nation of the World Cup. Simple as that...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back