US Mens Soccer Shocker

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I also pay attention to our national team although not much to pay attention to right now:oops:

GO US!!! AHEAD 2-0 AGAINST BRAZIL!!!

While we aren't dominating the play, we are beating the Brazilians in the transitions with our speed. Wonderful game. Hopefully the US can keep it up in the second half. Brazil is knocking on the door.

While I am happy the US won, I would not be too excited about it.

The Confederations Cup is a meaningless cup. It is nothing like the World Cup or the European Cup. It is used by the hosts of the next World Cup (in this case South Africa for the 2010 World Cup), to check out and make sure they are ready to host the big one the next year. In Germany it is known as the "Korn Feld Cup" (Cornfield Cup).

"Considered a dress-rehearsal for the World Cup it precedes, it uses around half of the stadiums intended for use at the following year's World Cup and gives the host nation, who qualifies for that tournament automatically, experience at a high level of competition during two years of friendlies. At the same time, participation was made optional for the South American and European champions."

Like I said, I am happy that the US has made it to a final of a game, but it is a meaningless cup. Don't get to excited over it...

Good point, Adler. And too, it is used by the world cup adminstrators to place teams in appropriate brackets/divisions. You don't want these smaller club countries competing with the worlds best early on... that doesn't make for good soccer (i.e., $$$$$$$). In addition, this is an opportunity to evaluate players in an international realm and establish fan base. While perhaps meaningless in the "real" futbol competitive world, it actually does serve a very important purpose.

If you participate in youth soccer, you will see the same exact decisions being made all the way down the development ladder. I love soccer. Fantastic sport. And the point made earlier about why it hasn't caught on in the US, I attribute that to some conspiracy theories by where the sports wealth is currently located in the US (e.g., football, baseball and basketball). I absolutely refuse to watch the latter because it has become a thug's sport. I'll take college basketball anyday over the MBA.

Go Sonics!!!

Nice one if the US beats the Brazilians. Doesn't matter if they deserve it or not. If this will make more kids play soccer in the US it'll be worthwhile. Nice thing of soccer is: always expect the unexpected. GO US!!

The interesting thing is that youth soccer is one of the most popular sports for kids here. For some reason in the past, they did not grow up to be supporting fans of the MLS or USMNT. Sports coverage probably being th culprit.

Honor to the US team.

Their only 'mistake' was to score too early, so Brazil had the time to recover the surprise and get the grip on the match.

But the second goal of US was the perfect application of the 'contropiede' (*) rule: 3 passages, the whole field sliced like salami and the man alone in front of the goalie. Exhilarating.

(*) sorry, no possible translation in english, maybe 'defensa y contrataque'

2-3 final score, but don't worry that is typical Brazilian luck :rolleyes: Argentina had suffered some in Copa America.
Luck plays a part in any team's fortunes
but I'd hardly describe Brazil as 'typically lucky', they're probably the best attacking football team in the world. The US looked tired towards the close but they've every reason to be proud; they reached the final of the tournament and scored two excellent goals against a team like Brazil.

I would it as very lucky not because this macth but for several others in other competitions, thing that is not related with this topic but is related in the way Brazil achieve his Cups.

They got great player and they get the job done, there is no discussion about it.

And indeed the 2nd USA goal by Donovan was a great one.

Score "too early"? Your kidding right? :lol:

The ending was inevitable.

Kidding? yes and no...

If they had contained Brazil in the 1st half at 0-0 and score the 1-2 in the second half, most likely they could have been able to defend the advantage.

This way Brazil had 20 minutes in the 1st half to recover and reorganize, and play the 2nd half at the best.

Of course this is just 'wishful thinking', you score when you can not when you want :D

To bad. Even though I do not give a damn about the Kornfeld Cup, it would have been nice to have the US win. If only because it might spark some interest in the US for this great sport.

Seattle Sounders beat Colorado yesterday 3-0. Broke an attendance record at Qwest Field with 32,526 in attendance, if I recall the number correctly. They purposely have limited the seating to only the first level and it has sold out every game to date.

But yet when the Sounders played away at New York, it looked like only a couple of thousand showed up. Crowds are young though, so perhaps things are changing for the US MLS.

To bad. Even though I do not give a damn about the Kornfeld Cup, it would have been nice to have the US win. If only because it might spark some interest in the US for this great sport.

Yeah, was listening to local radio yesterday and they were trying to pump it up. Might've even been Saturday. Anyway, nobody, and I mean nobody, called in to talk about it. They were up against Brazil after having played their way back from the edge of oblivion and nada in terms of excitement.

Nobody knew, nobody cares. Kinda sad.

As a Football fan, all I can say is that I am happy to live in Europe so I can experience it. Right now I am watching the U21 European Cup Final. Germany is beating England 1-0 at half time.

Its done the US soccer scene no harm at all with those results well done lads always nice to see football under dogs make the others cough a bit, the more nations competing the better the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back