Warbird abuse

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Agreed!

Yes, its the Saxonwold museum. Its pretty sad, those aircraft are quite badly neglected. The 262 had a partial 'repaint' to the empennage and they used totally mismatched paint and from what it looks like, applied it with a brush, not spray as the original was. On one of my previous visits I found a wet floor rag and mop lying on top of the horizontal stabiliser of the FW190 (its 70 year old original fabric!)...it's also had its canopy cracked by somebody trying to force it open. Not good.

I still maintain people should have to pass an exam on common sense and common decency before being allowed to breed.

I remember when I was a kid, I'd be fooling around out in the boneyard at Chino while the guys were working on a crate (or two). I could wander around the old machines but I wasn't allowed to touch ANYTHING...even though the old aircraft were sitting exposed to the elements or had been cannibalised, etc.

And on some of the old aircraft, I was allowed to climb in and look around, but that was it...period, no exceptions...

Now while that didn't seem like much fun to me at the time, it did instill a huge amount of respect for things that are not mine.

Last edited:
Exactly!
I would argue not being allowed to touch anything is a little extreme. I had similar, and while yes, you learn to respect things that aren't yours, the subversive lesson I learnt was that I couldn't be trusted to be careful.
I think this is part of the reason I am a perfectionist and extremely self critical, the feeling of having to 'prove myself worthy' dogging me my whole life.

I do my Vietnam talk at many different schools, just getting started in Ark. but I see the same thing there. About half the class were busy with their cell phones texting or whatever while the teacher just sat there. Don't know where we are headed but not anywhere good I'm afraid. Can't imagine why the US is 30th in the world in education

About half the class were busy with their cell phones texting or whatever while the teacher just sat there.

Cell phones are a big pain in the *ss (although they can be useful)! Some of the young guys who come and do their apprenticeships with us have theirs glued to their hands; there was this one guy, clever, when he bothered to put his cell phone down, always was txting; when you went to have a conversation with him, you had to tell him to put the bloody thing away to get his attention!

There's another young guy who was having trouble comprising a letter to the boss; his language in the mail was txt speak; lk ths, u no? I told him that he had to write things out fully since it was a formal letter he was writing! Needless to say, hs spllng ws applng! :D

Since I was a visitor and it was not my class I did not say anything but there were a lot of teeth marks in my tongue. Again, I'm old but I simply do not understand the texting facination. I can hardly even press those little keys one at a time and those screen keyboards are even worse. Why not call and say what you want?

Mobiles come in handy at times (in German they're called 'handies' too), but some people sure are obsessed by them.
Still remember the first time I saw someone use one - in Vienna in 1999. At first I thought it was a crazy person talking to themselves, then saw the phone in their hand. It was a long time before I realised they were actually good for something.

couple years ago, a DC-3 was at Chehalis airport for the annual air fair. I had learned that a kid had taken one of the tie-down chains and thrown it up on the wing, repeatedly. not sure what happened after, but I imagine they talked to the kid and his parents. this DC-3 had served in the war when it broke out. it was originally delivered to United.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back