Western Canadian Regional Model Contest (2011)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
This year's show is next Saturday and this time I'll bring my tripod for better pics!

I plan to enter a couple of my builds from the last year, probably the He-219 (need to fix the antenna wire once and for all), Spitfire IX AE-B and Lampskemper's 109.

WCR Model Contest 2010

Yeah, looks like they've got some good stuff there. Will have to make my way down one of these days. It's a three hour drive to Calgary unfortunately, and then of course plus whatever it is to Nanton. Maybe would have to check some things out in Calgary.

The day started out with registration of the hundreds of models between 9 and 11am. I entered three of mine: the Tamiya He-219, the Tamiya 109E Black 8, and the ICM Spit IX.

To make room in the hangar for the show, the museum staff towed out the Lanc and Bollingbroke and at 11am, they ran the 2 operable Merlins to kick things off. A third Merlin is now in the shop and it's hoped it will be running by the end of the summer when the props return from being refurbished.

Bollingbroke and Lanc.jpg

Lanc Engine Runup.jpg

Bollingbroke.jpg

I'll start with the 1/48 Super Detailed Multi-Prop category, the one which my He 219 was in. Only two models were entered in this category so the worst I could do was silver! The other was a beautiful Tamiya Lancaster which actually took the gold, and deservedly so. Here are the two lined up:

Cat 3C.jpg

Next 4 shots feature the Lancaster. The nose art was home made!

Lanc 4.jpg

Lanc 1.jpg

Lanc 3.jpg

Lanc 2.jpg

And finally, my Uhu, sans one antenna which someone not surprisingly managed to break off. This model, in addition to the silver, won Best in Show for axis aircraft so I'm pretty pleased!

He 219.jpg

I'll continue to post more pics in the days to come so stay tuned.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Terry, there were a lot of kids there so I wouldn't be surprised if one of them touched it. Could have happened to anyone as I did it many times myself. It's a bit bittersweet but as I was standing by the model Lanc and my 219 listening to WW2 bomber vet talk about his experiences, he began pointing his finger to various parts of my 219 and waving it around less than an inch away form the surface and almost wiping out the antenna wire I had slaved over to finally secure. I felt bad when I interrupted him and asked to take care. Poor guy couldn't see very well.

Now I'll show you the 1/48 Single Prop OOB Axis category starting with the placings and then the rest.

First up is the Gold award to this Hasegawa J2M3 Jack. Sorry for the blurred image, must have shook the tripod.

J2M3 Jack Hasegawa Gold.jpg

The Silver went to this lovely Hasegawa Bf-109 G-6/U3 Recon plane.

109 G6 U3 ReconHasegawa Silver.jpg

The bronze went to my Bf-109 E-4 Black 8. This one also won the award for Best Battle of Britain subject, although I think there were only 2 or 3 in the whole show.

My 109 Tamiya Bronze.jpg

Next up, Assi Hahn's 109F2 by Hasegawa:

19 F2 Assi Hahn Hasegawa.jpg

A Hasegawa N1K1 George:

N1K1 George Hasegawa.jpg

Nice little 109F Trop in Italian markings, also Hasegawa:

109 F Trop Hasegawa.jpg

Another Hasegawa, this time a K1-61:

Ki 61 Hasegawa.jpg

And finally, another Tamiya 109E Trop with OOB decals.

109E Trop Tamiya.jpg

Great stuff Andy, and congrats again. Personally, I think your '109E is better than the 'G' which got second place. In fact, I don't see anything spectacular about the first placed model, but of course, in 'the flesh' it could look better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back