What aircraft did you spot today

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

caught this one by accident it was lo and just to pratice I shot it but a minute later he was back and I thought boy thats quick and it happened twice more,then I figured it out,

Attachments

• P1011107.jpg
    P1011107.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 363
  • P1011115.jpg
    P1011115.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 381
harvards flew over my house, didn't think to grab camera until too late

STRATFORD - People looking skyward over Stratford's airport Sunday morning will see two vintage Harvard Mark IV trainers roar past in formation. The trailing aircraft will peel away in a classic missing man flypast.

The salute is for Gil Ruston, killed in a crash in his Harvard Mark IV, 40 years ago to the day during an air show.

Riding in the first yellow plane will be Dean Ruston, 48, who arranged the tribute to his father. In the backseat of the second plane will be his 17-year-old son Gil, named for the grandfather he never got to meet.

They'll take off from Tillsonburg airport with two members of the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association and fly over Stratford Municipal Airport at 11 a.m.

"It's hard to say how emotional it will be until I actually get in and see that big red radial engine start up and barf out the black smoke and taxi down the runway and lift off," said Ruston, who lives in Toronto.

He hopes his son comes away with a sense of the passion his grandfather had for flying.

"He's pretty stoked."

Gil Ruston was raised in nearby Wartburg but by 1971 was living in Georgetown with his wife and their three children. The recreational flyer was a partner in an RV dealership in Hamilton.

He bought the decommissioned RCAF trainer in 1967 and a year later put together a Harvard aerobatics team. He and three other team members were the opening act of the ceremony for the new 4,000-foot runway at Stratford's airport known back then as the Festival City Air Park.

Ruston said the probe into the crash determined his father took evasive action to avoid another Harvard that entered his path after experiencing "undesirable yaw" but wasn't able to recover from the rolling dive.

Investigators were able to view an 8-mm film of the crash, shot by the late stuntman Lucky Lott.

"From the video, if he had another 20 feet he would have made it, he would have been able to pull out," Ruston said.

Stratford Beacon Herald

With NAS Oceana six miles to the east of me and NAS Norfolk about twelve miles to the NW of me, I see lots of aircraft.
Mostly F/A-18's, or the Lear VIP jets. Once in awhile a C-130. Lots of choppers,too. Instead of the helo's flying a direct
route to or from Oceana, they parallel US-264 to US-64. I think this is flying IFR (I Follow Roads).

Charles

No mistaking the sound of the P-180, Aaron. I hear them all the time. They have a bunch of them at AvantAir in Camarillo, so they fly right over us. We typically get an F-18 or 2 on Tuesday or Thursday nights passing between China Lake and Pt. Mugu. I swear they know where my house is, the always seem to light the burners right over my house. I love it!

Two Canadair water-bombers, plus another pair or air-tractors (deployed as water bombers), putting out the fire some 3-4km from where I live. Happened couple of days before.
Actually, those are the most frequent planes to see here, if we discount passenger planes from-to Split airport.

No mistaking the sound of the P-180, Aaron. I hear them all the time. They have a bunch of them at AvantAir in Camarillo, so they fly right over us. We typically get an F-18 or 2 on Tuesday or Thursday nights passing between China Lake and Pt. Mugu. I swear they know where my house is, the always seem to light the burners right over my house. I love it!

This one is now based here at the Highlands Airport in Abingdon. Someone with way to much money I guess. A very interesting craft to say the least.:) Two F-16s flew over the shop yesterday at a pretty good clip and they were high enough to be leaving a constant contrail.

Summer is back

Attachments

• IMG_0181 (1200x1064).jpg
    IMG_0181 (1200x1064).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 354
I believe it was 2 Tornados formating with tanker , they were low and I only caught a quick peak and the fools didn't even make a circuit

Couple weekends ago I was sitting with family in the restaurant at Centennial airport and just watching the planes fly while having a real good lunch. First a T6 takes off and does a bunch of low fly byes ala Top Gun, then a P-51 sets up to take off and man does it sound good as it goes down the runway and lifts off, loved it.

Unwanted fly overs from slurry bombers and helos fighting the north fork fires here in Colorado,unwanted because of the fire not their help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back