What annoyed you today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
You deserve BIG props for that kind of work, Dan! In 20+ years in this industry, I have seen some horrendous cable jobs, some so-so, most just passable. It's rare to see the kind of cabling that you do these days. With those pics in a resume pack, you could probably get a lot of work.

Hehe, I do get alot of work, more than I can accomplish.... I have 6 jobs running right now lol.... And I have seen and work on some horrible crap....

Today for example, I went to the Biloxi Mall, which was under 4 foot of water during Katrina... The place was open but the entire surounding area was demolished... Very depressing driving there....

Anyways, phoneline has bad static.... U wanna talk about a mess... There was Rat shit all over the place and so much debris that when u moved a cieling tile it rained rocks and turds and dust ect ect..... They had a consolidation point INSIDE a sheetrock wall... (I never did find it).... Problem turned out to be Bell Souths... Bad dialtone at Demarc...

I have to credit my prior military background in making me such a good tech... Attention to detail.... #1 thing the Teams burn into ur Cerebellum...

I did some cabling in my younger days and it is kind of scary what you find in ceilings and cable plants. I could only imagine what some of those areas look like after Katrina.

Wow, I have seen consolidation points in strange places, but not inside sheetrock! I do remember finding a "cable splice" that consisted of a gaggle of 66 blocks to connect a couple of 100 pair cables. The worse part is that it was 10' above the ground, hidden in a drop ceiling.

I am sure you could probably list hundreds of horror stories. But I know what you mean about the attention to detail. You never do forget that and it fortunately gets noticed. I would imagine cleaning up someone else's crap job is worse than wrecking it out and starting from scratch.

Good to hear that there is plenty of work down there for you. I know there are a lot of folks who are still out of work down there.

My motto when it comes to cable management...."if it looks good, it will work good"

Les, dont forget to make sure your cabling has tags on them where appropriate. I spend too much time chasing down unmarked cables!

Here is another classic install I had to clean up a few years ago. This was an actual live connection with "production" data going over these circuits.

The plywood it was attached to was actually suspended in air and when the air conditioner in the room turned on, it would flap around.

One of my colleagues told me that a proffesor of EE from UCLA came over one time to take a pix of it to show his budding enginners on how not to do an installation like this.

:lol:

Attachments

• mvc_017f_873.jpg
    mvc_017f_873.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 183
  • mvc_025f_207.jpg
    mvc_025f_207.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 182
  • mvc_018f_168.jpg
    mvc_018f_168.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 199
  • mvc_023f_106.jpg
    mvc_023f_106.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 183
Krone strips!

Never seen them hanging in mid-air before though :lol:

What annoyed me today? - Forgetting to take my Lyrica tablet this morning, and having foot pain most of the day... :mad:

I became a new PC but it's a crap and I don't have a connection to internet in my room.......... but hey, at least i have something to write on in quiet in my own room, so it should be in both threads......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back