What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Could be worse. I had a colleague who accepted a job offer in the Pacific NW, quit his job here in Tucson, sold his house and moved to Oregon. He reported to the new company only to be told that his job had been eliminated.

Do they still expect you to work four hours late?
We almost never work past normal quitting time on 3rds. I think I've stayed late maybe a dozen times in the 10+ years I've been on 3rds. It's usually when the avionics guys have a software load in progress and they can't stay. I've stayed 30 mins to a hour over to monitor the load, while the day shift people get their act together. Occasionally, we'll do a ferry cell launch on 3rd and not enough 1st shift guys will volunteer to come in early for the launch. Unless we get specifically relieved early, we have to hang around til the cell complete their first tanker hit. Anything goes wonky prior to completing that hit and we are setting up to bring the cell back. In over 20 years of this, I've only had cells RTB 3 times, and one have to come back from last chance and do a relaunch.

I hated 2nd and 3rd shift. So glad I never have to deal with the BS again.
LOL.....I despise 1st shift due to having all the higher up eyeballs trying to catch people doing something wrong. 2nds isn't as bad, but with 3rds, I rarely see most of management, other than on a big occasion ferry cell. I don't have to listen to their corporate word salad of the month and listen to them praise and gladhand the ones that do the least, but have their faces front and center the most. 3rds is great, as the reduced management, rarely see or have to deal with the customer and we work a 32.5 hour schedule for 40 hours of pay. Only real grumble is on union meeting morning, as everyone but flight line gets off at 6:30, and us at 7:00. Meeting starts at 7:15.

I loved 2nd trick on the railroad. I woke up when I wanted to. I would go to sleep when I wanted to. The second trick operators always seemed less cranky than the first trick guys.
Thirds were diabolical. The "rush" activity started about four in the morning (after a night of track work). I hated thirds. I wasn't at my best at 4:30 AM, being a 2nd trick regular.

I hated 2nd and 3rd because I enjoy having a life, and seeing my family. Doing things in the evenings with friends and family.

I feel your pain. I hope the crew gets the site issues resolved soon.might be time to swap monkeys

Last edited:
I hated 2nd and 3rd shift. So glad I never have to deal with the BS again.
When I went to work for the commuter line, I started in the maintenance shop (pilot jobs were scarce) and we worked a 9pm-7am shift four days a week. Nice to have a three day weekend, but living in a daytime world resulted in flip-flop sleep patterns that, exacerbated by six years flying the line and four more of night freight, haunt me to this day. To top it off, being an ATP/A&P in the maintenance world made me an odd duck, hence "permanent nigger" in the culture of the hangar. So guess who gets to come in an hour early and stay an hour late, towing the Fokkers from and to the terminal? They even created a separate minimum wage job of Tug Driver for me and the non-A&P licensed guy on the opposite shift so they wouldn't have to pay us overtime at mechanics wages. Ripe for a union, but IAM was busily driving airlines out of business at the time, so nobody wanted to go there.

Story about 3rd shift- I was dating the daughter of the machine shop supervisor at Sperry Marine in Charlottesville, VA at the time in the late '60s and heard this story first-hand- Sperry was experiencing QC problems with their gyros; their drift rate was well out of spec. An investigation could not turn up any production problems and their procedures had not changed but suddenly the gyros were failing final inspection.

This remained a mystery until one day an inspector was working very late into the night and observed the 3rd shift using their final bake-out oven (used previous to sealing the gyro case) for heating up their midnight pizza snack. Problem solved.

My Union (TCU) is now part of IAM The fighting machinists.

Ouch. We whine about the cold when it gets down to +7.
I start getting cold and grumpy about it when it gets down below 70. Used to not be that way til it got below about 25, but internal temp and comfort regulation went wonky a few years ago. The wife laughs as I'm the only one she knows of that sleeps under an electric blanket and a heavy comforter year round.

My Union (TCU) is now part of IAM The fighting machinists.
I AM unemployed! (Eastern, Continental, National, Brannif, etc, etc...)
The day the mechanics took on the baggage smashers and ramp rats to increase their constituentcy, then forced the airlines to pay them at skilled mechanics rates, they sealed their own eventual fate. At Eastern, I saw senior baggage smashers and ramp rats "on the clock" on overstaffed shifts monopolizing the break room to do gunsmithing or fly rod building for their own private businesses for an entire shift, while the junior guys busted their butts out on the tarmac. Woe betide the wandering aircrew person or other outsider who stumbled into their hidden empire in search of a vending machine or a restroom!

Users who are viewing this thread