What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cataract surgery. Don't know how it's done but I hate anything touching my eyes including eyr drops.
Sweat thyself not! Right eye took 15 min, including the briefing, left eye took 12. Went from 6.75/7.25 diopters to 2.75/3.15. Could have gone to near 0/0 distant, but would have lost some up-close visual clarity, which wouldn't bode well for micro electronics, model detailing, or gunsmithing. (My eyeballs are seriously distorted.) I now wear lightweight glasses instead of cokebottles and TAKE THEM OFF for close work and reading. Just wish I'd had the whole process sooner. Do it, man!

Just wish I'd had the whole process sooner. Do it, man!

Thats exactly what I said after my vision correction surgery. Had I done it In my 20s, I might have been a front seater, not a back seater.

Still that first morning waking up, and never having to reach for my contact lenses was such a life changing experience. The minor temporary discomfort after the surgery pales in comparison.

Had I done it In my 20s, I might have been a front seater, not a back seater.
Back in my day, any kind of eye surgery was a permanent disqualification from any military flying, period. With my cokebottle lenses, I had to get a waiver to get my back seat rides. Lasik and radial keratotomy (remember that?) hadn't even been thought of yet.

PS: A guy I used to drink with in the EM club had graduated early from Rensselaer with a BS in EE, made AQ (Aviation Fire Control Tech) First Class (E6) in 3 1/2 years, later went to OCS, graduated Pensacola as a chopper pilot, top of class, then got kicked out of the Navy when the CO of his first permanent duty station discovered he'd had his eyes RK'd on the sly before he took the qualification physical for OCS.

Last edited:
Cataract surgery. Don't know how it's done but I hate anything touching my eyes including eyr drops.
As all buddies said before, have no fear. My mother had it a couple of years ago and all went without problem. Myself had lasik also in 2014 and all went smooth

Yeah man, get it done, everything will be fine.

While I've never had vision problems (20/10, the doc's always comment on my perfect shape eyeballs) my wife and two of my kids have vision issues. My brother was the same way (cokebottle lenses), but he had the surgery done a few years ago and it was easy with no discomfort, and to echo all of you, he was wondering why he didn't do it sooner.

Mine were done with no problems. A related story, back when RK was new, my neighbor (in his late 70s) had both eyes done. He doubled the post op instructions, wore the eye patch double days etc. and shortly after as I was coming home from work, he came running to my car holding the phone book. Suspecting a problem, he shouted, "Look! I can read the phone book without glasses. I can even read the name on the truck." The truck was nearly 1/4 mile from us. His wife walked up and said, "I can't take the old fool grocery shopping any more because he stops and stares at the girls."

That's how it was when I joined. Getting any eye surgery was a disqualification. They changed it while I was in, but at that point I had had enough and decided to get out.

That's how it was when I joined. Getting any eye surgery was a disqualification. They changed it while I was in, but at that point I had had enough and decided to get out.
When was that changed? In early 1963 I volunteered for a helicopter pilot training program in Ft Rucker but they required 20/20 uncorrected vision and waivers were NOT granted for any reason. Oh well...

Thanks guys. It looks more like I will contact my beautiful eye doctor soon and see when it can be done. From the way she sounded it might be June before I could be fit in for it.

Just spent over an hour installing and setting up a new wifi modem. When finished, I announced the new network name and password to the rest of the family. My kids cheered and logged into the network. My wife gave me a sour look and said, "Why didn't you consult me on the network name. Shouldn't I have a say?" I then spent another hour negotiating a name that would be acceptable for her. My kids just rolled their eyes, as they calculated the years and months before they can move out.
My dad had a saying: "She'd complain if she were hung with a new rope."

Been there and have all the souvenirs. After 5 years of chrome book And 20 years in windows, my wife still yells at me because she cannot log into her email. I do not know how she works the technology while she is at work. She bought a Chromebook because it was cheaper not knowing the OS was not windows.

What's going on with bookkeepers this year?
My wife's doctor's bookkeeper quit earlier this year and sent all accounts receivable to collections.
This week our (now former) bookkeeper attempted a hostile takeover of our company!

Users who are viewing this thread