What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My retirement timeline is - at 60 I start collecting my Army Reserve pension, which will be about 22% of base pay for my rank and time in service. Then SS kicks in at 62 to 70, 67 is full retirement age, but I can start collecting early, or delay til 70. Then I have two rather underfunded retirement accounts that can be tapped without penalty at 59.5.
My hope is to use the first few years of the military pension to pay off/down my crushing debt while I'm still working.
Like Fubar, I actually like my factory job. But we'll see how the body holds up.

At Eastman Kodak, an employee could get full retirement if age plus years of company employment equaled 85. Early retirement for a total of 75 was allowed at a reduced pension. Fortunately in my case, Kodak needed to reduce payroll and for the first time allowed the ranks rather than supervisory people to get out. We were allowed out at full pension if we totaled 75. I figured I had just missed it, as my birthday was in December and employment date was January 2nd. The deal was offered in November. A call to regional HQ Atlanta allowed me to go as they counted the months. I then went to work for a Kodak dealer the Monday after my last day, on Friday, for ten more years until age 62 to take early Social Security payments.

Thanks guys. Very informative. I see the retirement is a very complicate issue there and why the retirement fund is so important for companies there and is such a big deal if a company is in trouble, even for retired employees.

Right now we are mostly mad about the Canadian smoke and the darn medical tourists.
Yeah, those wildfires are a crazy thing. The ashes arrived here in the Canary Islands also due to the air currents.

Right now we are mostly mad about the Canadian smoke
Fire on the Nation River, 32kms from town

1688095523346.png

Then SS kicks in at 62 to 70, 67 is full retirement age
And at 65 Medicare kicks in, in the nuts, and you have to start really paying for what you already paid some out of every paycheck. Since signing up for Medicare, at times I've paid over $310 a month for that "free" medical care. It is kind of like the reverse of SS Retirement. You pay in your whole working life and then when you finally qualify for it they hand you a bill.

And at 65 Medicare kicks in, in the nuts, and you have to start really paying for what you already paid some out of every paycheck. Since signing up for Medicare, at times I've paid over $310 a month for that "free" medical care. It is kind of like the reverse of SS Retirement. You pay in your whole working life and then when you finally qualify for it they hand you a bill.
Yeah. My mom tells me every time they raise her Social Security, they raise the Medicare premiums.
But having had to pay out of pocket for family health coverage, $310 a month seems a bargain.

I feel lucky I guess. My company really offers great health insurance benefits. There are multiple plans to tailor them to your personal needs. I get maximum coverage for family for a very low and rersonable price, and my premiums have never really gone up. They even went down one year.

Plus I have my VA health insurance as a back up.

Honestly I cannot complain.

But having had to pay out of pocket for family health coverage, $310 a month seems a bargain.
That $310 is just for one person. Medicare does not cover the family like a company health plan. And then you need to pay for a Medicare Supplement to help pay for the stuff that Medicare does not pay for. And then Obamacare came along and they started charging for things they had not before. My Mom went to the ER about 5 months before she died. Just in the ER and out after a few hours; she had passed out. And months later, after she died, we got a bill for $800 because the ER doctors had joined a company to charge for their services and Medicare or the supplemental plan did not cover that.

I'll put in my 2 cents- the Southern Arizona Veteran's Health Care Services here in Tucson provides first-class care for me. The VA facility that received all the negative criticism in the news media a few years ago was the one in Phoenix. I currently have a drain tube inserted into the Pleural cavity surrounding my right lung and I get 1 liter of fluid drained out every 2 or 3 days. The cause is still undetermined but I get x-rays, CT scans, and MRIs as well as medication, all for a reasonable co-payment. I've found the VA here to be quite capable and caring.

I'll put in my 2 cents- the Southern Arizona Veteran's Health Care Services here in Tucson provides first-class care for me. The VA facility that received all the negative criticism in the news media a few years ago was the one in Phoenix. I currently have a drain tube inserted into the Pleural cavity surrounding my right lung and I get 1 liter of fluid drained out every 2 or 3 days. The cause is still undetermined but I get x-rays, CT scans, and MRIs as well as medication, all for a reasonable co-payment. I've found the VA here to be quite capable and caring.
Thats alot of snot comming out of you. Hope you feel better, must be nice breathing like it supposed to be.
Hope they find the cure and at the very least make your life better. I have hopes for that.

Deductible and coinsurance. But the good news is a big discount for services. Part A hospital coverage was paid while working. B is option and you have to pay. D for Rx is a big mess that results when the govt designs anything. You have to pay for that also. Look into to medicare replacement plans. Some are good. I'm a big fan of AARP plan with united healthcare. I not at the age for it yet but have worked with them for years with my job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back