What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This...
Sad.

This...
Tragic indeed but I gotta admit I just shook my head when in the "news report" it was stated his company was fined something like $480 MILLION clams for giving kickbacks to Dr's to use their product(s). Gosh, I can't think of any pharmaceutical company that's done that. :rolleyes:

Maybe he did like that idiot who drove the F-86 into the ice cream parlor at Sacramento in 72. His family did not get an insurance payout because he was observed rolling over and then diving from a fair altitude in his P-51 without making any moves to recover.

The State of Texas uses the rule of 80. Age plus your years working for the state = 80 and you retire. Keeps you from retiring at 40. Also causes the higher levels to stagnant. No way to move up because people stay in position for decades. Starting at 61, I get a pension at 71 because you have to work for 10 years. Only a few months past my target date.

Last edited:
Maybe he did like that idiot who drove the F-86 into the ice cream parlor at Sacramento in 72. His family did not get an insurance payout because he was observed rolling over and then diving from a fair altitude in his P-51 without making any moves to recover.
Two different people.....Bingham was not the owner of the Saber, only an employee of the company that owned it. The company owner was killed in a stall/spin accident in his Mustang the next year. Litigation on the F-86 accident carried on until sometime in 1975, three years after the accident.

The State of Texas uses the rule of 80. Age plus your age = 80 and you retire. Keeps you from retiring at 40. Also causes the higher levels to stagnant. You way to move up because people stay in position for decades. Starting at 61, I get a pension at 71 because you have to work for 10 years. Only a few months past my target date.
Do not compute. Can you explain this for a european? What is age plus age? And what the texas 80 rule? My mind is itching.

I think it should be age plus years of service equals 80..... Our union contract is age plus full years of service equals 85 to get full retirement, but there is an age minimum before you can draw that retirement. I'm 62 and have 32+ years with the company, so my calculation is 94, but I have two more years before I can draw that pay.

I think it should be age plus years of service equals 80..... Our union contract is age plus full years of service equals 85 to get full retirement, but there is an age minimum before you can draw that retirement. I'm 62 and have 32+ years with the company, so my calculation is 94, but I have two more years before I can draw that pay.
94? Guess he has to work some more to make that.

1688059002382.png

But that is valid only if you work for the same company? If you change to another one with other rule o move to other state, what happens? I mean, if you change to a company that applies another rule you have to rule for that new rule, for good or bad?

Do not compute. Can you explain this for a european? What is age plus age? And what the texas 80 rule? My mind is itching.
Sorry. I blame it on spell check and sun spots. I have correct it. State employees and teachers can get a pension after making 80 points. Your age plus 1 point for each year worked. Minimum of 10 years of service. You can also retire anytime after age 65 but to payout is small.

So if you are 40 years old, and started working for your union at the age of 40, you have to work 45 years to 85 years of age to actually retire?
Start at 40, work 20 years, now you are age 60. Add the 20 years worked to age and get 80. If I found this job 10 years ago when insurance company closed I could retire in 4 years.

Last edited:
But that is valid only if you work for the same company? If you change to another one with other rule o move to other state, what happens? I mean, if you change to a company that applies another rule you have to rule for that new rule, for good or bad?
It like leaving any job. Unless you are going to another state, you can let it sit in the account or take a cash out. The State matches 100% and guarantee a 10% return when you retire. There is also a 401k available. Two for the price if one.

The union I'm in, our 3 big locals, are only part of a single division. Our local lodge has numerous small locals that are part of us, but the individual locals represent employees only in single companies. We have part of our division in a couple of other states and they have their own locals, with their own contracts.

The 85 number has to do with certain retirement benefits for us. Part of that is the reduction in retiree medical costs. At 85, we pay the minimum amount for our medical. If you retire with less than 85 points (age + full year's of service), you pay higher premiums.

DB: As long as one has more than 5 years with the company, and is over 55, you can retire. You can't get your retirement pay until you get to your 65th birthday though, unless you go out on a medical retirement. We've got people in the plant that have early 1970's hire dates that are still working. In my department, I have a 1986 hire date and I'm #16 on the seniority list for my job classification. The top guy has a 1976 hire date. He's planning on retiring at the end of this year. Should I revert back to the production side of the plant, I'm somewhere around #300.

EA: Should I move to another company, or even another division within the company I work for now, it scrambles things considerably. I have retirement benefits that are different from any of our other divisions along with pension and 401K differences. It gets quite complicated and unless one has at least 50% of their planned career time left, it might not be worth moving the long run. Pensions and retiree benefits are a fairly sore subject within our company, as different locals within the parent union have differing benefits. It gets complicated, and that's why retirement stuff occupies probably 25% of our contract books.

I started collection my Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) at 62 though they recommend collecting at 60. CPP is deducted from most payrolls in Canada and will kick in automatically at 65. If I started collecting at 60 and you started collecting at 65, it would take you until age 72 to catch up to what I collected. I also started collecting my Old Age Security pension (OAS) when I turned 65. This is given to every Canadian whether worked in their life or not. However....because I'm choosing to continue working for a few more years (I love my job) I have to defer receiving OAS or end up repaying it at the end of the year

When to retire and take pensions and Social Security can be quite complicated. If one takes SS prior to their full retirement age, it has reduced payments and you get penalized if you earn more than a certain amount in the tax year. I know for my wife and I, a layoff and some serious medical issues for her, wiped out my ability to have retired at 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back