What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Doesn't look like a recipe to me. :D
nc_ohc=KZYOeSeCyeEAX929jlA&_nc_ht=scontent.fphx1-1.jpg

My translator in China couldnt converse with the local people. One night a guy turned up in my local bar in Germany (Lower Saxony) he was from Bavaria and no one in the whole bar understood one word he said.
One guy in my bootcamp company was from "a back holler" in deep Appalachia and his speech was literally unintelligible. He was 18 years old, had been married to his 1st cousin three years, had three kids already, and hadn't seen a day of school since the wedding. How he got into the Navy is beyond me.

At one stage I had a staff member from Al Salvador whose English was very fractured so I signed him up for an English as a second language program every Tuesday on pay.

Two weeks later he showed up at work and when I asked why he was not at school he replied that the teacher was Asian and spoke worse English than he did.

I checked it out - he was right.

My translator in China couldnt converse with the local people. One night a guy turned up in my local bar in Germany (Lower Saxony) he was from Bavaria and no one in the whole bar understood one word he said.
When I was young, my Great Aunt Hanke used to baby-sit me and she used to teach me German (what I thought, at least) and I became fairly good with it.

Years later, I took a German class in High School, figuring I could breeze through it for some easy credits.

Oh boy, was I ever wrong - when I spoke, the teacher detected what is called a "Low German" accent along with my syntax errors and thought I was messing with her, so she kicked me out of the class.

Turns out, I had learned Prussian from my Great Aunt (who had moved to the states in the early 40's to avoid the situation), which was worthless when trying to speak "Schüle Deutsch"... :grimacing:

When I was young, my Great Aunt Hanke used to baby-sit me and she used to teach me German (what I thought, at least) and I became fairly good with it.

Years later, I took a German class in High School, figuring I could breeze through it for some easy credits.

Oh boy, was I ever wrong - when I spoke, the teacher detected what is called a "Low German" accent along with my syntax errors and thought I was messing with her, so she kicked me out of the class.

Turns out, I had learned Prussian from my Great Aunt (who had moved to the states in the early 40's to avoid the situation), which was worthless when trying to speak "Schüle Deutsch"... :grimacing:
Should have made a written apology in Kurrentschriften or sutterling. That would have been fun.

Should have made a written apology in Kurrentschriften or sutterling. That would have been fun.
My high school German teacher made me learn that! I actually made some money translating old letters and photo captions for people.
One guy wrote his memoirs in it, but changed to a more modern script when he described his life after moving to the States.

Is the prussian still spoken somewhere or is in use only by the older people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back