What Do Your Usernames Mean?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mine is me. I am Redbeard. I am an Irishman from way back. I have red hair and am damn near tranparent in skin tone. You do the math. Besides, I like it.

A Silverfish is a bug.:D
Here is a Silverfish.
200px-Silberfischchen.gif

Sabrina is not my real name. It refers to a code name of sorts that I had while living in a different state. I've had an interesting, book-like life--exactly what I reach for--and have been in situations where I've had to assume another identity for my own safety. I can take care of myself--I shoot, use knives, practice martial arts, fly, etc.--and have always loved the good old James Bond movies. During a stint in Alaska where I didn't feel comfortable allowing some people to know my real name, I picked a name that would fit my Bond-girl-like alter ego and the nickname stuck. There's still a few people out there that know me as Sabrina...hehe.

Brand new to this forum and this is my first post...so tread lightly! Great site from what I have seen so far! Volume and quality of information is top shelf.

User name: 5bR6897....Spit Mk 5b ...serial number R6897 and coded DB*Z. Flown by my uncle with 411 RCAF.

Written off in Jan 43 mid air with Spit AB847 killing my uncle...P.O. Gilbert Frederick Brown/Toronto, Ont.

I would also appreciate any additional info that anyone might have on his incident or my uncle.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi,

I used to work with an old 'royal engineer' when I was starting out after college and after a week or two he started calling me Pobhead... when I asked him why, he said that 'Pobs' was a mixture of white bread and warm milk eaten by invalids and kids.... in his opinion it was white, tasteless and a waste of good milk...... and for some reason I reminded him of it.... so the name stuck....

cheers,

Pobs

I've been playing computer games since the early 80's and was always bad at coming up with names. I stumbled upon the name Astaldo in some JRR Tolkien book so I've been using that for over 20 years. The 711 is both my birthday and wedding anniversary.

User name: 5bR6897....Spit Mk 5b ...serial number R6897 and coded DB*Z. Flown by my uncle with 411 RCAF.

Written off in Jan 43 mid air with Spit AB847 killing my uncle...P.O. Gilbert Frederick Brown/Toronto, Ont.

I would also appreciate any additional info that anyone might have on his incident or my uncle
R6897
855th Spitfire a/c manufactured under Contract No B19713/39 to Supermarine Aviation (Vickers) Ltd, contract order built as Mk 1a and Mk Va/Vb aircraft between April 1940 and April 1941.

Contract price of R6897 - £4,250.00

Fitted from the outset with de Havilland 3-bladed, 2-speed propeller (from K9961 onwards). Serial allocation in the 'R' series halted at R7022 in July 1940 from which point the X series commenced. 'R' series then re-commenced from R7023 to R7350 from January to April 1941.

First flight - 05Jul40. Moved to 6MU 07Jul40 for the ill-fated cannon wing fit with 19 Sqn. On 11Jul40 it suffered a flying accident category B, on 26Aug40 it was repaired at 1CRU (Contractors Civilian Repair Unit) at Rolls-Royce Hucknall.
On 11Jan41, it was converted to F.Vb status incorporating the M45 Merlin. Moved to Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU) Duxford 23Feb41. Whilst with 92 Sqn 03Mar41 it suffered engine failure and crash-landed.
On 19Mar41 it was moved to Air Service Training with 234 Sqn.
On 14Sep41, another flying accident category B.
On 19Nov41 at Air Service Training Exeter 310 Sqn.
On 20Jun42 at 332 Sqn.
On 03Aug42 P&PSM.
On 19Aug42 modifications installed/applied at 411 Sqn.
On 20Nov42 it suffered an air collision with AB847 at Alby, Lincolnshire.
On 28Jan43 it was struck off charge.

Your stated accident date seems to correspond more closely with the SOC date, than the date of the actual accident - is this possibly what you meant?

Sorry, I've got no idea what P&PSM stands for, the whole thing also reads a bit stilted, Morgan Shacklady had a lot to pack in to one volume!

Source
SPITFIRE The History
Eric B Morgan and Edward Shacklady
Page 86 Mark 1 serials

Last edited:
Paulo Valentim was a brazilian soccer player of great succes in Argentina wen I was borned. My father liked his style of play and I got the nickname Valentín, wich often is changed for others to Valengo (a more kindly version).
P.S. I am very bad playing soccer :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back