What is your favorite WW2 movie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll have to agree with Doughboy... Even though Tom Cruise is a piece of crap, I thought Valkyrie was a great movie, definately one people should see

Kelly's Heroes
Battle of Britain (despite miserable editing, pan/scan and 60's hairstyles)
Saving Private Ryan (despite the main sob story)
Das Boot
Der Untergang
The Eagle Has Landed
Where Eagles Dare
Flammen og Citronen (The Flame and the Lemon)

And my all-time fave, even though it's a mini series: Band of Brothers.
I'd wish - oh I wish! - that messrs. Spielberg Hanks would give the Battle of Britain the same treatment...but that's just a daydream, I'm afraid. Just imagine the production costs...*yelps* :lol:

Some great movies on your list, Maria.

Somehow I missed to mention "Der Untergang" in my original post, but its one of my all time favorite war movies. Filmed with great authenticity and Bruno Ganz's portrayal of Hitler was amazing to say the least.

The War Lover (love the B-17 beating up the airfield sceen)
Das Boot
Air Force (another B-17 movie)
12 O'clock High
Cross of Iron
Passage to Marsailles (love Humphry Bogart)
Casablanca
and any John Wayne war movie

Only one movie stands out that I can watch time and time again...Kellys Heroes !

I have others like the Battle of Britain, Murphy's War and I wont even start mentioning all those brilliant John Wayne movies....

I'm not a fan of all these new re-releases of old classics like Pearl Harbour, because the CGI stuff is too clinical and doesnt look right. Having said that I do have the Memphis Belle (had to get that as with two sories under my belt in 'Forts, its a great reminder)

I do find a lot of the older fims fun to watch as has said previously, to spot the 'errors...usual stuff like White Half-tracks painted up with the German Cross, the 109's (Buchon's) pretending to be Hurricanes in certain clips in the Battle of Britain, the amazing ability for absolutely every aircraft ever built, that gets into trouble and start going down to sound exactly like a Stuka on it dive bomb run.

I am absolutely dreading the modern remake of The Dambusters. Some films should be left alone !
How about Korean War era? Only one movie comes to mind: "The Bridges at To-Ko-Ri William Holden was as great in this as he was in "The Bridge On The River Kwai"!!

I have to agree with Bill. I watch Twelve O'clock High two to three times a year. I own a first edition of the book, and it just isn't the same as the movie. Now, here is the sad thing. I can sit there and watch "Target For Today" over and over. It is a very dry documentary, not meant to be entertaining. It is available on YouTube and DVD. It takes quite a long time to get to the actual mission, but if you watch it, you will see all the planning and preparation for the missions. The actual mission footage is breathtaking. On a final note, both Twelve O'clock High and Target for Today were meant to be watched while sipping single malt Scotch.

I have to agree Platoon and Enemy at the gates were decent enough movies. Kubricks Full metal jacket deserves and honourable mention along with Apocalypse now. But for realism and effect i still think Saving private ryan is a great war movie, even for the first ten mins of the film depicting the D-day landings. But in the same vein, the mini series Band of brothers was equally good.
But my personal favourite for sentimental reasons and not so much because its a great film. I'd have to say First light. Based on the memoirs of battle of britain spitfire pilot Geoff Wellum.
Also a Russian war film called White tiger, is well worth a look if anyones not familiar with it.

12 O'clock High, Das Boot and Patton I will always watch if on.

I liked Band of Brother's but got more into The Pacific

I was the opposite. I like The Pacific, but found Band of Brothers much better. Epic show!

I'm looking forward to the 8th Air Force installment , if it ever comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back