What is your favorite WW2 movie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers (OK, it's a mini series, not a movie)
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Flags of Our Fathers
When Trumpets Fade
The Great Raid
The Longest Day
The Purple Heart
They Were Expendable
Wake Island
Wing and a Prayer
Bataan

TO

Gee....that's a toughie....would rate Saving Private Ryan way up there at Number 1 I think...but there are a few...including Where Eagles Dare, The Great Escape...never tire of watching Bogie in Sahara....

Has anyone heard about the miniseries "The Pacific"? Its going to be made by the same people that did Band of Brothers. The tentative release date is February 2010, which is making die from waiting so long....

Not sure if I have one particular favourite. I really like Stalingrad but the only version I have has terrible 'English with German accent' overdubbing. I'd also list

Saving Private Ryan
Days of Glory
Cross of Iron
The Longest Day
Flags of our Fathers
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Big Red One
Below (a horror rather than a war film though)
The Thin Red Line

and I'm sure I've forgotten some

Flags of our Fathers

Private Ryan

A Thin Red Line

Farewell to the King (not widely known but great film about the Pacific)

TO, I think we did and that was #1 witha bullet!

GeeDee, forgot about "Murphy's War". Watching the first flight of that Duck off the water sends shivers down my spine. Freaking great!!

I should have mentioned that a good "horror" movie based in WWII was "The Keep" with Jurgen Prochnow...

I thought it did a great job of showing the true friction that existed between the Wehrmacht and the SS...plus a decent storyline and effects...

If I have to pick one then it would be the longest day and if anyone can find a copy of the book I suggest that its worth a read.

Small piece of information regarding the film you may or may not know. The actor Richard Todd plays the part of John Howard the Major in charge of the assult on Pegasus Bridge. In real life Richard Todd was the first officer to meet up with John Howard's assult team and helped hold the bridge until it was relieved.

Must be an odd feeling to play a role in an action you actually took part in with another actor playing you.

TO, I think we did and that was #1 witha bullet!

GeeDee, forgot about "Murphy's War". Watching the first flight of that Duck off the water sends shivers down my spine. Freaking great!!

"Flyyyyyy, you Bastard....flyyyyy"

Best bit of the film !. I defy any-one watching not to be on the edge of their seat willing that Duck to get get flying.

I forgot to mention in my post, but "When Trumpets Fade" is an amazingly horrific look at the Hurtgen Forest campaign. Just thinkin about it gives me goosebumps!

Mine is Band of Brothers... if you count that a movie.

If not - Saving Private Ryan

I count it as a movie - and Band of Brothers is definitely my number one.

Saving Private Ryan, 12 O'Clock High, Command Decision would fall into a close second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back