What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From where I am sitting Terry it looks damn good to me Sir,your friend should be quite satisfied with the end results.;) Cheers Kevin

Thanks very muc h guys. The out of register decals are a real pain. I can re-touch some areas, such as the red crosses and the fire access squares, but where it's supposed to be stencilled writing in red is a definite no go! Next time, if I build this kit again, I'll omit any red decals and make my own or hand paint the required lines etc.
A little tip for anyone wanting to check register. On some decal sheets, you'll find a 'Register Target' in one or more corners of the sheet. This resembles the cross hairs and circle of a gunsight. Check this closely, preferably under a magnifying glass. It should be as close as possible to one, single colour - black. (That's the last colour printed in a four colour process). If it shows any other colours, then that is the degree the printing is 'out'.
Needless to say, I didn't check the marks did I..........

Tom, if you need the scale drawings, just let me know. The only 'window' I've seen so far is on the side of the nose on the recce version.

Thanks very muc h guys. The out of register decals are a real pain. I can re-touch some areas, such as the red crosses and the fire access squares, but where it's supposed to be stencilled writing in red is a definite no go! Next time, if I build this kit again, I'll omit any red decals and make my own or hand paint the required lines etc.
A little tip for anyone wanting to check register. On some decal sheets, you'll find a 'Register Target' in one or more corners of the sheet. This resembles the cross hairs and circle of a gunsight. Check this closely, preferably under a magnifying glass. It should be as close as possible to one, single colour - black. (That's the last colour printed in a four colour process). If it shows any other colours, then that is the degree the printing is 'out'.
Needless to say, I didn't check the marks did I..........

Great Tip Terry. :)

It's really irritiating to spend good money on aftermarket decals hen see that half of them are OOR. :evil:

My Phantom is coming along

phantom0402.jpg

Very nice Phantom Conk - impressive mate. Thankfully, the Harrier decals were the kit supplied item, otherwise they would have gone straight back!

I've got another Enterprise model in the works. the Polar lights 1/1000 Enterprise 1701 kit. it's a snap together kit, but I glued it together, and i applied putty last night. I'm fixin' to sand it off a lil later today. but it's coming along nicely.

HPIM1530.jpg

and yes, that is a USS Defiant in the background. lol

oh, and nice looking Phantom, by the way. :D

Last edited:
My recon Panther ready for final paint, decals, and miscellaneous tidbits.

Attachments

• F9F-5P  3.jpg
    F9F-5P 3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 98
  • F9F-5P  5.jpg
    F9F-5P 5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 92
  • F9F-5P  4.jpg
    F9F-5P 4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 90
  • F9F-5P  2.jpg
    F9F-5P 2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 89
  • F9F-5P  1.jpg
    F9F-5P 1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 97
Well another week has passed and I've gotten little modeling done. As some might of seen I did get some work done on the 262 Delaney. As you can see here I also did a little work to Old 666. I assembled the wings and then started working on the smaller components like the engines, guns and windows. If anyone knows a simpler way to do the frame work on a 1/72 B-17 please let me know. Way to small to mask off with tape and maybe even with the liquid mask. The ball turret alone has taken forever and I'm no where near finished with it. :mad:

IMG_2572.jpg

Well another week has passed and I've gotten little modeling done. As some might of seen I did get some work done on the 262 Delaney. As you can see here I also did a little work to Old 666. I assembled the wings and then started working on the smaller components like the engines, guns and windows. If anyone knows a simpler way to do the frame work on a 1/72 B-17 please let me know. Way to small to mask off with tape and maybe even with the liquid mask. The ball turret alone has taken forever and I'm no where near finished with it. :mad:

Dirk, when I paint the framework on canopies and turrets, I free hand the frames with enamel paint. I use a very fine, pointd paintbrush. When it's not quite totally dry, (but dry to the touch) I use a pointed toothpick to scrape away the paint that has spread from the frames.

tom

Last edited by a moderator:
damn fine work on that panther, Tom! that gives me some ideas on how to do canopies and such.

great work on the B-17, too, Dirk!

I've decided I'll do it in the livery of the ISS Enterprise. I know this isn't like the ISS Enterprise displayed in the kit or on screen, but I believe this could be a slight refit version of the ISS Enterprise.

Long Live the Terran Empire!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back