What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Me too. There's a possibility that part of it needs painting as per the surrounding area. Can you post a pic? I think I've got some plans somewhere, which might show the correct shape/location etc.

The 'Quick Build' of the Harrier is turning out to be not so quick! After eight hours of applying decals, I ended up cross eyed, aching, and p*ssed off! Not only did most of the decals curl and wrinkle, resulting in the total loss of a few, but the register is terrible, although only really visible on the red areas. And, of course, I had to alter the Belizian nose flash, by cutting each decal into three parts, and swapping the 'bars' around, in order to orientate the colours the correct way. this will be re-touched as required later.Still, for better or for worse, it's done now and, after clean-up, I'll touch-up those areas needing it, and paint in the missing markings. Then, it's a coat of semi-matt clear, and finish the detail painting, including the vectored thrust nozzles, before moving on to the landing gear, underwing stores and canopy.
The pics show the decals, with the mis-register clearly visible even at the range the pics were taken. The canopy has had the MDC's engraved into it, and just awaits polishing and the frame painting. I'm not sure yet whether this will be posed open (have to ask matey), as it should have extensions on the rear which form the top of the air intakes, and dosen't quite like being in the fully open position. I'll post some more pics soon.

Attachments

• Harrier 036.jpg
    Harrier 036.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 61
  • Harrier 037.jpg
    Harrier 037.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 63
  • Harrier 040.jpg
    Harrier 040.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 61
I'm sure every blemish and every off detail raises your blood pressure but damn if it doesn't look great from where I'm sitting. And I have duel 24 monitors on my desk which allows me to see quite a lot.

I don't believe this is a true statement but I was always under the impression Harriers were one of the most difficult models to build.

Thought that too Dirk

Sweet work Terry 8) mightily impressed!

Whats 'registry' mean? with the decals?

Whats 'registry' mean? with the decals?

Registry is the term used to denote how well overlying colors on decals are positioned relative to the underlying or adjacent colors. Poorly registered decals have colors out of place - e.g. strips of white in Luftwaffe crosses showing up OUTSIDE of the outer most black bars, or the central dot of an RAF roundrel being "off center". It happens a lot more frequently than you would like, especially in older kits but not only with those. If the decals are REALLY misregistered they end up looking like crap and can ruin the appearance of an otherwise superbly crafted model.

Me too. There's a possibility that part of it needs painting as per the surrounding area. Can you post a pic? I think I've got some plans somewhere, which might show the correct shape/location etc.

I think I have it figured out. There's on picture on the box that just barely shows the area in question and it's painted the same as the surrounding area. Also, the directions show it as the same as the overall paint scheme.

I also learned that masking tape will remove decals, even those set in and over coated with Future........

Nice, nice job on the Harrier, Terry. Maybe we should call you Terry Harrier? Or Harrier Terry?

tom

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back