What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking very good, M! You've encouraged me; going to get a Tamiya Corsair for the tractor in the kit, but now I've seen yours, I want to build the aircraft too!

Cheers fellas

Terry I'm getting another one to build, the bird I'm building was based on the Gilbert Islands so I'm building it wings down, I want another kit to build a carrier based bird with wings folded up. it's a lovely kit, goes together really nice.

Sounds good M., I'll probably do mine with folded wings too.
Well, yesterday (Saturday) I had to sit in the cold and dark, totally inactive, due to a power cut. No electricity or heating for over 17 hours! As I was unable to cut any MDF for a base for the Sabre, I couldn't get the final bits done. So, as I need to get a 'Huey' done for a friend, as a surprise Chrissy prezzy for helping me with my computer update F.O.C., I dragged out the Italeri 1/48th scale kit and started work last night, when the power came back on. Made the most of it, and stayed up most of the night, in order to get the worst bits out of the way. It's a nice kit, but suffers from some vague instruction drawings in parts, due, no doubt, to the internal parts being a base for various other kit versions. I'd made 14 sets of seat belts for the troop seats, but didn't fit them due to b*******g about trying to figure where the seats really should be mounted, as opposed to where the instructions indicated holes should be drilled! Anyway, once that was out of the way, the build progressed rapidly, with the attached pics showing progress to date. The model will be displayed on a plain 'grass' base, to depict a UH-1D of the 'Soc Trang Tigers', the 121st AHC, 13th Combat Aviation Btn., in Vietnam, 1969. My friend is a Vietnam and Huey 'nut', so I hope he likes his surprise! I'll post more pics when it's finished, which should be soon.

Attachments

• Sabre build 094.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Sabre build 098.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Sabre build 101.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Sabre build 107.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 28
  • Sabre build 110.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Sabre build 114.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 34
Wow! Card wheels - they look great Wojtek! Thanks for the compliments guys, just got to figure out how to mask this bird for painting - too many openings and sticky-out bits!!

THX Terry. For masking of some bays you can use pieces of very soft sponge.Squeeze a piece of the sponge with fingers and put it gently into a bay and let it to expand itself.

Well I have been going at another ship (I think I have some kinda of infection) the USS Pittsburgh in a dio scene.This is my very first attempt at any type of dio.I think by the pics the water is a little to glossy/metallic look but it shall do for experience for now still have a few bits to add.Kevin

Attachments

• indy 013_edited (600 x 225).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 23
  • indy 012_edited (600 x 176).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 28
  • indy 015_edited (403 x 600).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 26
Godd idea Wojtek! Better than damp tissue. I'll probably just mask the windows and brush-paint it, although I'll still need to spray the clear coats. Just have to be careful!!

Thanks for the kind words folks!

Nice boat Javlin, looks great on that base. 8)

Great progress too on that Huey Terry, I was looking at a 1/48 Revell Huey in the LHS the other day, but I said to myself, "no, you're not buying that, you're just here for some white paint!". So I put it back on the shelf.

But after looking at yours, I'm thinking I should have bought it.

I think the Revell one is the old Monogram kit M. I built it years ago,and it's quite good, but I think the Italeri kit has the edge althought the decals are Italian Army, Carabinierie, or US Army National Guard 1986. I'm leaving off a few bits, and using some of the alterante 'Italian' parts, to back date it to a 1969 model; the decals I've got are are an old sheet from 1982, free with a magazine! Knew I'd use some one day!!
Like the ship Javlin, and the 'water' looks fine. Is it resin?
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread