What's on The Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While not strictly (OK you got me not at all) an airplane it is what I'm currently building. It's a completely scratch built Mech Warrior. Only my 2nd full scratch ever, it still needs lots doing to it, like missiles and racks plus weathering etc. Hope someone likes it :D
Oh and it's fully posable, each leg has three joints and it even has hydraulic (use your imagination) rams for lateral movement. The legs are completely made from brass and the rest of the body is made from plasticard and bits of dead models from when I was a kid (decades ago) and bits removed from the kids toys (ofc they broke by themselves son :twisted: ).
Picture 00002.jpg

Picture 00004.jpg

Picture 018.jpg

Picture 065.jpg

Picture 067.jpg

Gary

Thanks guys, Corey the camo is just freehand with an airbrush using a mix of Folk Art, Tamiya and Gunze arcylics.
We have a group build on another forum, but it's got a high population of tread heads. I got lucky and won the last group build with my Liberator. So to throw them off track (so to speak) I chose Sci-Fi and Fantasy as the next build lol (I'm twisted like that). I must say the response has been somewhat lacking but it's still got 4 months left to run, hopefully there will be more entrants. It's nice to get feedback as there isn't much of that going on unless it's got tracks :(

True that brotha!

Almost done with the base.. For the concrete I started with a wash of neutral gray to get a light color down then I made my water dirty and mixed it with more paint to cause contrasting shades of gray. Then I used the airbrush with dark gray and misted over everything, then I penciled in those 2 lines to simulate concrete slabs. I might weather it some more but i'm impressed for a 2 hour project. The Stuka is just a show piece, it wont be permanent.

Attachments

• DSC_0152.JPG
    DSC_0152.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0151.JPG
    DSC_0151.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 74
1/48.. I had no reference, just a 12 by 12 board and an imagination. :)

A nice buy there ellis, looks like the camo is going to give you a nice challenge. :)

thanks Maglar.

that's the main reason i bought this for to test out the stippling affect:oops: When it arrives and i have finished the aircraft i will put pics up to show how i got on with the stippling

Not my sort of thing, but very nice work there Gary.
Good job on the base Mag, especially for a first attempt.
Nice buy Keith, and as Wayne said, it'll be a good test for you.

Thanks Terry, I like painting wood because the paint gets absorbed unlike plastic which it will build up a clump if you paint on area over and over. The wood kind of makes the paint blend in all nice.

What do you think I can do next time to make the base better? I know theres something about oil stains (if you know please tell) and maybe some grass on the concrete slab divider lines. ?

Yep, just a bit of weathering, cracks and staining. But think about it first - where is the area, parking, servicing etc. What's the surface, concrete, stone, tarmac etc.? Weather- wet, dry and hot and so on? Which part of the world etc? All of these things will effect what you wish to achieve. I normally use mounting card for the 'hard' areas, such as dispersals, taxi tracks etc., and but-joint to simulate, for example, concrete slabs. This can then be painted and textured according to requirements. I think this is covered (in part at least) in the Diorama Guide. This way, you can add grass to the cracks, if it would be present on the 'real thing', or simulate the actual gaps, or add the tar sealer often used between slabs.
The thing to do is study as many photos as possible of actual airfields, relevant to the subjetc being modelled. I've seen many models on bases that look far too 'clinical' and precise, and often of the wrong type for the particular aircraft sitting on them! When it comes to location, it doesn't really work to build an accurate replica of the apron at a Florida airport, if the subject is supposed to be a bleak USAAF base in East Anglia, UK, in the depth of Autumn! World War two subjects can vary a heck of a lot, especially if the airfiled was a temporary base, and even permanent fields were relatively new, and hurriedly constructed, so there was often rubble, mud, eroded paths etc etc. But, on the other hand, an F16 would normally be standing on a very tidy, relatively clean and smooth apron, with the surroundings equally neat and tidy.
Building a base is the same as building any other model - it's a model in its own right, and should never be treated as an afterthought or last-minute addition. A poor base can ruin the display of an excellent model.

Spot on, but a base should be fun and such. I will probably use this to display future models just to give it a more appetizing look from my banged up dirty work area. I better put a "Warning: Base does not link to aircraft being modeled!" :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back