What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The skin tones were rough, I dont know how people pull them off in busts and larger figures. Well oil paints do help with this, still 1/48 is considered braille scale to figure painters.

They look good Maglar. Figure painters are nuts though especially the 1/35 scale ones which are amazing for detail. Talking with one guy who had made a lot of hauls for his figures at the Expo's around Australia he used Humbrol flesh tone as a base and generally built up with yellows and browns, just kept adding onto the base until the right tones were there.

Cheers

Took a balsa rectangle and painted it up for the dio. Finished my oil drums, need to do a bit of sandy weatherin on the sides, the tops look good. When I lay down the sand im going to have some "creep" around the edges of the rectangle so it looks natural and a little bit of submerged in the sand. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0290.JPG
    DSC_0290.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 80
Thanks all.. need to buy some yellow tropical good looking sand as the stuff I got from my beach is dirty crap, now who wants that!

halrighty! I FINALLY got around to spraying the second color of my Stuka. and I carefully de-masked it and she looks absolutely gorgeous! though you can barely see the difference in coloring. she looks good, nonetheless

OK guys time to take the wee wee out of lee.
My first ever build of any sort of model has reached this stage, made bucket fulls of mistakes despite all the help I have recieved and stuff I have read. My research was non existant so I assumed the swinging arms on the Bren carriers boggies would have been as on the model a square casting and seamed. I go to the War Peace show examine the real thing and its a round casting with no seams if I had done more research I could have reshaped them to the correct dimension as it is now its glued and Im knackered.
Good job I started on something simple, Im still hunting for the tow hook I fired across the room with my over enthusiastic use of tweezers, I think if I upsized the tweezer design I'd have a very effective sniper weapon.:D

Attachments

• bren.jpg
    bren.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 77
The Stuka looks good Rob, nice work.
Lee, if I hadn't known this was your first model, I would never have guessed judging by the results so far. It's bl**dy marvellous man!
I wouldn't worry about the 'square' castings on the swing arms etc, as they are more than likely correct, although I can't swear to it. The 'Bren carrier' was built in various factories, in various Marks and, like many military vehicles, there would be variations in design/pattern of some components - the Sherman is a prime example. I'm not sure about the 'seams', but they can't be seen anyway, and the overall model looks terrific, and I'm not just saying that to 'bull you up' either. Although the 'carrier is a relatively simple model, there are still areas that can be tricky, the running gear being one, and it seems you've done a really good job mate. Try an aircraft kit or two next, and the Wellington should pose no problems. I'm quite advanced with the 'Beginners' guide thing, so should have it posted in a couple or so weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back