What's wrong.....with todays music? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rockabilly.
50's and 60's Rock n' Roll.
Surf music, Dick Dale etc.
Guitar instrumentals, Ventures, Shadows etc.
Some 70's and 80's music.
Some 90's and 00's.
Blues.

That what I pretty much listen too....

Here's a question for you metal geeks ;) ..... Is it less heavy metal on the radio today, as I remember, it was a lot more of it on the radio back in the 80's and 90's, or is it just me?

Remember back in the 80's when Motley Crue were considered Heavy Metal? I listen to their stuff now (and still like it) and think, "This was metal?" Nowadays I think it fits more into just rock n roll.

To be fair, maybe my music horizon has expanded into heavier things and the Crue's music is just different.

To answer Lucky's question, no, IMO they don't play heavy metal on rock radio stations. Popular bands like 3 Days Grace, Nickleback, Seether, etc., are just rock bands, not heavy metal.

Going back to the original query I am so eclectic that I like some of the modern stuff and hate some of it!!! Especially rap which is not music in my opinion. Favourites though are Kylie Minogue, Alan Parsons Project, Snow Patrol, Shirley Bassey (blame my dad for that one!), Abba (blame being in Germany for that one) and anything classical! 8)

Sorry for dropping-in late, I just spotted this thread.

Some more recent bands are great. Depending on your point of view, you can consider them as pop bands or rock bands. Don't ask me why, but most of them are Canadians...

Nickelback
Theory Of A Deadman
Billy Talent
Greenday
Three Days Grace

However, with all that computer work and the "sell sex instead of music" attitude, it is easy to make mediocre signers look good. Madonna was probably the first to "capitalize" on that, followed a few years later by girls like Britney Spears, Christina A... Ag... Agui... whatever the f*ck her last name was, and more recently Lady Gaga.

Oh, and to all those Rap/Hip Hop fans, it is not music. It never was, and never will. It is just some wannabe gangsters speaking on a crappy electronic beat.

Last edited:
Justin B, Jonas, Hanson and any other f*cking brothers or sisters for that matter, what the h*ll happened to good decent music? Where does all this cheap sh*te coming from, personally I blame the Evil Three from the 80's! Why can't these cheap music terrors do what any good band did back in the day, start from scratch, garage, pub/bars and onwards and upwards, work their way in and earn their place in the music business?

My ears are bleeding!

Can't really stand Greenday especially after that video and their romp through a military war museum.

Nickelback has good stuff but someone once combined two of their biggest hits, overlayed one song on top of the other and they were exactly the same except for the melody of the lyrics! Funny!

There is still some good new stuff coming out but you do have to dodge all the corporate-approved pop music to find it.

I'm much more into roots-rock, folk, blues and yes some good country bluegrass. Let me testify:

Anybody remember Little Feat? Then check out "Band of Heathens" and the album "One Foot in the Ether".

Also look for JJ Gey Mofro; out of Florida (I think) but some great grooving tunes.

Then......if you ever tapped your feets to any bluegrass...."Old Crow Medicine Show". People like labels, so critics have called them new-grass.......Whatever; they are great musicians and a blast to see live.

I'll try to take some pics from this weekends festival (FloydFest 9 :: Breaking Ground :: Presented by Across-the-Way Productions, Inc.) where I'll get to see these last 2 groups.
Later, Derek

Don't really appreciate Greenday's views but some music is good.

Nickelback is OK, not my favorite of the newer band.

Maestro, have you heard 3 days Grace Live? They really are not that great, the voice enhancers or whatever in the studio are the only reason I still like their music. Never a live concert from them again.

Breaking Benjamin and 3 Doors down are my 2 favorites bands that sounds great live (Well from what I've heard Breaking Benjamin does) and 3 doors Doors down is fabulous.

Overall they're all good but with the all the new equipment in the studios some bands don't have to be great singers, that's my only problem with todays music. Back then everyone seemed to be a great singer!

I'll throw one out there, I got turned on to Rammstein, some of there stuff gets me going pretty good when I'm riding my motorcycle and I can understand most of the words.....

I do like Rammstein but a lot of their material can be very samey. I couldn't sit and listen to a whole album without getting a bit bored.

I also have a fierce dislike for the likes of Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold etc. I can't put a finger on it, but to me it feels like an endless recycling of old metal cliches, and again, it all sounds the same. My own tast in metal is more at the metalcore end of the scale with bands like 36Crazyfists, Norma Jean, Every Time I Die, Poison The Well, Architects (UK) and Misery Signals. I even like a bit of Converge from time to time, although it is a little too much like noise for me to listen too for an entire album.

In a similar vein, I thoroughly detest what passes for 'emo' these days, which is mainly whining self-pitying pop punk. Go back 10 years or so and you have the likes of Glassjaw, Mineral, Penfold, Benton Falls etc, which was really 'emotional' music...

Another thing while am at it..... How many covers do you hear when you turn on the noise box today?

1. These fat label gurus know that it's a safe way to a hit, since it was a hit before, look at the X-Factor mince.
2. They're all fat lazy b*stards....the fat label gurus, far too lazy to create new music....not knowing if it will sell or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back