What's wrong.....with todays music?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When Mozart was still young, some thought the same of him Lucky, I also feel the same at some of the newer 'teeny boppers', marketed soley for siphoning teen allowances pocket monies, and adding to the media illusion of everybody matters.
Rock Metal are still roughly the same, music ages as do we...

Got a lot to thank the Simon 'what's his name' mob for....all look and sound the same and 9 times out of 10, they do covers, because they know that's the only sure way, to make money, ruin good ol' hits!

Sorry about the rant.....:lol:

Simon Cowell?

Personally, I don't mind the boy or girl bands. Granted, I don't listen to them, but their music doesn't make me cringe every time I hear it like Rap music. Worthless trash, every bit of it.

Simon Cowell?

Personally, I don't mind the boy or girl bands. Granted, I don't listen to them, but their music doesn't make me cringe every time I hear it like Rap music. Worthless trash, every bit of it.
There is good and bad in every genre, there is some very good rap I enjoy Kanaan but what is disturbing to me is the formula bands(boy bands)

Remixunderstudcanensurehasslelessperrusal.

I like some Rap, Drum Bass* , Dubstep elecro/club what-ever-it-maybe too (language nationality differences, musical cultures don't narrow my choice).... MM, some of.. Nelli, Tupack, Chester P, Necro, Nicky Blackmarket, Alabama 3/A3, Infected Mushroom, Louis Slippers, Daniel Jakubovic, Dialated Sound, Kabát (Coat), Alice ninE, Dir En Gray, Dying Breed/Di-Bre...

Good music is good music, if it has good, meaningful lyrics/words, has a good sound, and makes you 'chair' dance, its ok, if its better and makes you rock out, mores the better for that too.

*There are some real wordful and heartfelt raps that follow the musics truth style with a grace of language knowledge, poetry, curent affairs etc, tha flow so jaw droppingly wellcreated, Shakespear and Chaucer would be so kcufing proud of their eloquence, and spit some themselves too....
It not all just the commercial controlled or arranged requirements/market push; the ones about killing this n' that and or pushing drugs for the sake of only self propagandment of the fake side of 'Gangsta'.
Or so wickedly phat b-line D&B with beat melodies and other sounds that really can be emotive and 'clicks', with none of the stereotyped chems needed... I tend to igonre the ones that have all the same samples heard before ad nausium, just remixed refiltered in only another different order of settings, layers filters.

Its the voice leveling and added reverb industry 'auto tune' that really gets my goat....

Last edited:
It's far too easy in today's world to manufacture talent. I believe that is the key problem. Most record labels are concerned with quantity, not quality.

Nothing is wrong with today's music.

What is wrong is today's youth accepting a recording quality that is compressed and $hit with respect to audio fidelity. And I don't think they even know better in an MP3 world wherein listening to music is always thru crap laptop micro-speakers, desktop mini-speakers and handheld $2 headphones.

Buy your music in loss-less (non-compressed) formats and listen to them on a decent stereo setup/headphones headphone amp. And FEEL the difference. It's visceral.

I may as well extrapolate now I have weighed in.

There is no formula for success in the "Industry of human happiness", otherwise known as the Entertainment business. Were it so one could buy it on ebay.

As for the sound of music, not the film, ? Times and sounds, or experiments, come and go from day to day. The sound of abrecording is not the music. The music is what it is. A g is g, regardless of reverb.

So what happens in the studio? Allow me to picture a session I did yesterday.
A young band had won a talent contest. The prize was a recording session in a first class studio. I was hired as a drum tech to supply a vintage kit and first class hand hammered cymbals from Turkey. In reality I was the back up drummer. There to sit in at the last moment to save the session.
The 16 year old drummer was a very nice kid. Things went astray at first and the engineer wanted me to just cut the track. However, I had been in the control room listening to the young bandmates lose confidence in their drummer. Something that was unwarranted, considering the relative skill of the players.
I had a quiet word with the young drummer. Fixed his kit so it sounded great, and he cut the track.
No one knows if this will be a hit. Good luck to them if it is. Ry Cooder did not expect the Buena vista social club to be a hit.
There is no formula. Seriously. :)

When I was I kid in Minnesota, we walked to school 5 miles in blizzard conditions, up-hill both ways! In the summer we worked 23 hours a day in my mothers sweat shop making cheap knock-offs to sell back to the Japanese. The other hour was for rest, a scrap of bread, and our daily beating. (We got smacked at random times during the day too, but, somehow the night time ones were special!) And we were damned glad to get it!
Back in my day music meant something, it was either sex, drugs, rock and roll, or all three. None of this "Waa! it's so tough being a twenty-nothing!"
Might as well be country set to a stupid beat.

Is it the music????

Or, just the fact some people can't function without that noise in their ears?????
Driving with headphones????? Jogging with an Ipod? Cell, mobile, phones are the scourge of the employer! What makes peoiple think it is a Right to SMS on the job???? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Oh dear Lucky... you just gave me a license to rant mate! :twisted:

I think part of the problem is that modern pop is mass-produced (as it has been since the Motown days). However, the process today, especially in the UK, is incredibly stale and cynical. A few very powerful figures have dominated the scene for thirty years or so, starting with Pete Waterman, and moving on to Fuller and Cowell. It's just a stream of 'artists', increasingly plucked from TV reality shows, churning out formulaic songs or covers of formulaic songs, which are then marketed to TV audiences whose taste is entirely dictated by commercial radio and the aforementioned TV shows. Any new style which appears is co-opted (garage and grime, for example, have been diluted into radio-friendly formats and lumped in with radio-friendly R'n'B). If no new style is immediately available, an old one is wheeled out and tarted up - think La Roux's pastiche of 80s styles which achieved chart dominance last summer. Even rock music has been diluted down to radio-rock like Nickleback or radio-indie like Coldplay.

Outside of this arena, there is a massive amount of original music in a huge range of styles, but it is excluded from mainstream media and even mainstream retail, and so remains a niche product. Ironically, the best outlet for this stuff is now iTunes, firstly because the 'Genius' software is actually quite smart at introducing new music once you have a few non-standard albums in your library, and secondly because online stores selling hardcopy CD's like Amazon or Barnes Noble now carry very little outside the Top 40 and a few 'classic' titles in other genres. This situation is made worse by the steady demise of independent record stores, which for me when I was a teen, were the number one way of being introduced to new music, usually by the staff.

So basically, we need to get shot of Cowell and the commercial radio stations which play his pap on rotation, and bring back the little pokey independent record stores. And here endeth the rant :lol:
Dead Balz on it. I've played in bands that should have made it, bottomed or headlines with dozens of bands that should have made it . Elvis Costello was blackballed for playing " Radio" on SNL for a few years because he called them out in it.

" they say you better listen to the right side of reason. But they don't give you any choice cause they say that it's treason. So you had better do as you are told...you better listen to your radio." Elvis Costello. Album: This Years Model 1977 (?)

Stan

There is no formula for success in the "Industry of human happiness", otherwise known as the Entertainment business. Were it so one could buy it on ebay.

As for the sound of music, not the film, ? Times and sounds, or experiments, come and go from day to day. The sound of abrecording is not the music. The music is what it is. A g is g, regardless of reverb.

A young band had won a talent contest. The prize was a recording session in a first class studio. I was hired as a drum tech to supply a vintage kit and first class hand hammered cymbals from Turkey. In reality I was the back up drummer. There to sit in at the last moment to save the session.
The 16 year old drummer was a very nice kid. Things went astray at first and the engineer wanted me to just cut the track. However, I had been in the control room listening to the young bandmates lose confidence in their drummer. Something that was unwarranted, considering the relative skill of the players.
I had a quiet word with the young drummer. Fixed his kit so it sounded great, and he cut the track.
No one knows if this will be a hit. Good luck to them if it is. Ry Cooder did not expect the Buena vista social club to be a hit.

Been there... And did the Exact same thing. Something about a perfectly tuned kit , ergonomically set to the young one and a "you can do this brother" , instills confidence that leads to nice sessions. I let them use my Istanbuls signed by Memhet and Agop as well as my Spizzichino UFIPs , snare drums etc. good on you.
R.Cooder and BVSC... I heard about that nonsense. It is poison to the unseasoned ones and dismissive to the seasoned.
You are good man... You're a drummer!

Stan

Been there... And did the Exact same thing. Something about a perfectly tuned kit , ergonomically set to the young one and a "you can do this brother" , instills confidence that leads to nice sessions. I let them use my Istanbuls signed by Memhet and Agop as well as my Spizzichino UFIPs , snare drums etc. good on you.
R.Cooder and BVSC... I heard about that nonsense. It is poison to the unseasoned ones and dismissive to the seasoned.
You are good man... You're a drummer!

Stan

When I was I kid in Minnesota, we walked to school 5 miles in blizzard conditions, up-hill both ways! In the summer we worked 23 hours a day in my mothers sweat shop making cheap knock-offs to sell back to the Japanese. The other hour was for rest, a scrap of bread, and our daily beating. (We got smacked at random times during the day too, but, somehow the night time ones were special!) And we were damned glad to get it!
Back in my day music meant something, it was either sex, drugs, rock and roll, or all three. None of this "Waa! it's so tough being a twenty-nothing!"
Might as well be country set to a stupid beat.

You got bread?

Is it the music, or the idiots playin it, or singin it..............

What the hell is it with this Bleeber kid?
Is he old enough to bed Kerr?????????
He should be made to walk the gauntlet, everyone gets a chance to Flick his little noggin!

Today's crap is why I never turn the radio on and when the radio in my pickup croaked, I left it croaked. Taylor Swift is nice eye candy but very boring to listen to. Mylie Cyrus is just too nasty to contemplate. With a choice between her boring music and cruddy twerking and a lap dance from a Hippocrocofrog, I''l take the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back